• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange hardware install problem in xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fearless

I'm trying to install an HP printer on a friends PC. I attempted to install the drivers as directed by HP, but the system hung with only 14% installed. I ended the process, tried agian but had the same result. I then tried to install the hardware through add new hardware in the control panel and recieved the following:
"you can install only one device at a time"
"another device installation is underway, when it is finished you can try this wizard again"
There were no other programs open and I could not see any unusual processes running. I booted into safe mode and had the same happen.

I tried to find something in hte M/S knowlegde base but had no luck.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
fearless

Hmm, first thing I would try would be to plug the printer into a different USB port (provided it is a USB connection). Try that first, report back.

nikhsub1 -- I have tried the USB cable in all four slots, including where the keyboard was plugged in, and also attempted with a different USB cable as well.

baltoos -- I first tried to install drivers with the printer turned off but the system hung. I also tried through the Control Panel>Printers and Faxes but this was also ineffective.

It feels that Windows is already installing something, but I can't figure out what that something may be. A friend said he's heard of this type of thing happening in Windows -- like the drivers get half way installed in the registry, run into problems and will continue to try to install the device. I have used an HP generic uninstall utility but still have no luck when trying to install.

Thanks,
fearless

Last edited:
Back