• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel NOT working k8n neo2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idoru97330

Registered
I just got a setup with PQI 2-2-2-5 ram (2x512) and a k8n neo2 board, winchester 3200+ chip. I am a migrating Intel person, so forgive the naivette. When the board is posting, it reports single channel memory. I have installed the memory in the green channels (channel a1 and 2). Am I missing something? Does this need to be turned on in Bios? Because I don't see anything like that in there, nor in the manual. PLease somebody HELP, before I lose control and throw the whole case out the window! In case this fits better on Mobo thread, sorry, this was my best guess of where to post, since it seems to be predominantly a memory issue.

double sided memory should be put in the first two slots for dual channel operation on the neo2. *the two slots closest to the cpu*

That worked. I feel like such a moron. It's funny, back when I got my first dual channel board (p4c800e), I did just the opposite, so I was sure that I had it right this time, what with the color coding and all. Anyway, thank you for the help!

idoru97330 said:
That worked. I feel like such a moron.
You shouldn't feel that way. The dimwit who designed that confusing color coding IS the MORON! I bet at least half the folks who have used this board have made the same error. (Myself included!)

Aw shucks. I'm still RMAing this memory right back to Newegg though. It won't stay stable at anything above 236. :cry:

Tried to save smoe money. Anandtech tested it well, too. I guess I got a bad one is all. Anyway, thanks!

uhhhhh. what timings are you trying to run with that stuff that it wont run stable? my corsair wont run higher than 210 on 2-2-2... or 233 2-3-3, but 300 3-4-4.

i agree that the msi has a poor design, having to run dual channel with sticks touching each other sucks, the only think the ram layout is good for is using the ddr booster, another annoying thing is that i have to yank my pci fan, sound card, and led bracket everytime i need to reset cmos...

bobmanfoo said:
i agree that the msi has a poor design, having to run dual channel with sticks touching each other sucks, the only think the ram layout is good for is using the ddr booster, another annoying thing is that i have to yank my pci fan, sound card, and led bracket everytime i need to reset cmos...
Yes, real fun isn't it! I've saved myself the hassle a couple of times byturning off my system, turning off the power supply, waiting 30 seconds, holding down the insert key while I start the computer. Once it post then into the bios to fix the bad settings.

rseven said:
Yes, real fun isn't it! I've saved myself the hassle a couple of times byturning off my system, turning off the power supply, waiting 30 seconds, holding down the insert key while I start the computer. Once it post then into the bios to fix the bad settings.
i wish i could do that but it doesn't seem to work on my usb keyboard

In reply to the question about timing. At the end I was volting 2.8, timings of 3,5,5,10 2t! :(

Back