• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defrag stopped working after latest update!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THE_BAIT

Registered
Hi folks
Just did a windows update on all my computers and now on all my computers windows defrag has stopped working, I still starts and loads but it does nothing when you click on analyze or defrag buttons, no hd activity, no errors.
Also Diskmangment in administrative tool no longer work, error says "need to give permission in windows firewall" Done that but comes up with error "RPC port not open in Firewall"
I opened RPC port in firewall, but still another error and thats were i gave up :bang head
Anyone esle have this problem or is it all my comps screwing up in sympathy with each other :rolleyes:

Thanks
Rob

Edit:
I have just found out that the System Information page has stopped working as well....Ummm
I dont know which update has caused this, So i will try to remove each one till i find the troublemaker.

Last edited:
ouch. I did all 10 updates just fine on two of my PCs. Some of the updates can't be removed. Have you tried doing an extra restart or run chkdsk?

Good to hear it worked for you Ebola, I have uninstalled all of the updates but it didnt fix any of my problems, Reinstalled all critical updates again.
I restarted many times and even shut down all the computers.
Yes, i have tried scandisk, chkdsk, checked event logs, all the usual things to recover but no go.
List of problems i have found so far:
*Windows Installer service = set on auto but it is not starting, can only start if i click on start in services page.
*System information page = error cannot connect
*Disk management in admin tools = error problems with firewall = then RPC
*defrag = window opens but analyze & defrag buttons do nothing

I hope i can find a answer soon as this is driving me nuts :mad:

Thanks Rob

Edit:
I finally figured it out :bday:, I had DCOM server processer launcher set to manual when i updated and this seemed to caused my problems.
I set DCOM to automatic rebooted and problem fixed, I have put it back to manual and rebooted, Guess what "ALL IS WORKING".
I dont understand why updates stuffed up DCOM but at least i know next time what to do!

Cheers Rob :beer:

Last edited:
Back