• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

svchost problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snowlock

Registered
So my problem is that when I boot up, something is causing a major hang on my system. One of the svchost.exe runs up to 99% cpu process and the network won't connect. Once I manually end the process, everything is fine.

anyone know of a program which will tell me which process is hanging so horribly so that I can remove it from the startup? I'm guessing it is something loading in the .ini files or the services.

To ward off the easy answers, nothing in the startup folder, and nothing under the startup tab of msconfig should be causing this. It is a hidden process but I can't figure out where or what.

SVCHOST.EXE is a very common name for various malware by now, since Windows itself starts so many processes named like this itself. The original scvhost.exe is a "service host", ie stuff which is a service but comes in a DLL and not a executable is started this way. So if it's a legitimate program which just encountered a bug, it's in your services.
If it's something else (which I strongly suspect) search your disk for svchost.exe. The only one really needed is in c:\windows\system32 and is fairly small (12.800 bytes for me). Any other svchost.exe with 50kB or more, you can delete. The original one also has a "version" tab in its properties which says it comes from Microsoft, malware usually doesn't bother which such things

There is a command you can run from the command prompt that will list each svchost process and which services each is running so you should be able to figure out which one is causing the problem. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think the command is "tasklist" and there is a specific switch to get it to output the svchost info. Anyone know for certain the command I'm talking about?

Mever mind I just checked and yes the command is "tasklist /svc". The output identifeis each process by it's PID so you'd have to add that column to you processes tab in the taskmanager.

sweet. thanks. I think that might just be what I'm looking for. I'll have to try beating on my computer with that when I get home from work. Thanks again.

Back