• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm Going NUTS!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XunknownX

Disabled
10 hours and I can't get windows XP to install on the new SATA harddrive.

Maxtor 200GB SATA harddrive
A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard

I copy the SATA/RAID files to a floppy. F6 gets me no where. I insert the floppy right when it goes to the windows setup and it picks up the drivers. It goes to install and then says "Windows Setup Cannot Copy xxxx.sys" my SATA/RAID drivers. I am trying to run a single drive.

I can get the comp to detect the drive, and if I skip the files, the windows XP boot screen appears followed by a blue screen.

I've tried using the MaxBlast CD and that gets me no where.
I tried to slipstream the SATA/RAID drivers, but my new slipstreamed XP disc doesnt work properly. Leaves me in Dr. DOS.

I'm going absolutely nuts. 10 hours straight trying to get this HDD to work to no avail. I am now going to bed and hoping for some good responses from you guys. I hope there is a solution. Otherwise I'm going back to PATA and I hate returning items. :bang head

I copy the SATA/RAID files to a floppy. F6 gets me no where. I insert the floppy right when it goes to the windows setup and it picks up the drivers. It goes to install and then says "Windows Setup Cannot Copy xxxx.sys" my SATA/RAID drivers. I am trying to run a single drive.

The disk you are using is almost certainly bad. Try a new floppy.

his diskette might still be good, but yeah, try the new diskette.... if that doesn't work, make sure you have the RIGHT files going on the diskette (take note of what it screams that i needs, and put it on there)

Make sure, on the floppy, that the files aren't zipped or in a separate folder, as well. A:\RAID\*.* won't work.

I've tried several floppys. The files are right and not zipped. See, it loads the files, but after the initial loading part of XP, and it starts to copy, it says it can't copy them.
I just woke up and am going to be working on this again.

Why can it load the files but not copy them?

*edit* Managed to slipstream the necessay files. Installing XP as of right now. Still don't trust anything. Doing magical XP Install dance like an indian and crossing fingers.

Last edited:
Got it to install. I pushed it further though. I had a ghost image from when I had the PATA hard drive, so I tried to load that. haha. Hosed my XP install. Oh well, got the SATA drive to work. Kinda worried about reliability, but I'll just keep super important files like pics of my daughter on my external.\
Thanks for the support! :)

Back