• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a freeware (or payware) program do do this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slkcrab

For a project I'm doing I would like to be able to take a clip from a DVD and show it in a powerpoint presentation or even stand alone. Is there a easy painless way to do this? What would also be needed to do the same with a VHS tape? Thanks in advance!!!

Easiest/best way is to use a TV/capture board to grab what you need and embed it into your powerpoint. There are good boards and there are cheap boards, the ATI All In Wonder is somewhere in between and a good choice.

A TV/Capture board makes no sense, and the quality would suck.

Just use a free dvd-ripping program to get the vob files onto your computer, and convert it to whatever format you want.

Or use TMPGEnc to pull an mpeg file right off the dvd ( you can select the source region before ripping to get only the movie clip that you need). And TMPGEnc is free, and considered to be one of the best.

The gordian knot suite may be your best bet - its free and will allow for ripping parts off a DVD and encoding them to a suitable codec for embedding in a powerpoint presentation.

For a VHS tape I guess you would need to run it in via a capture card?

Remember to check out any copyright issues as well.

David said:
The gordian knot suite may be your best bet - its free and will allow for ripping parts off a DVD and encoding them to a suitable codec for embedding in a powerpoint presentation.

For a VHS tape I guess you would need to run it in via a capture card?

Remember to check out any copyright issues as well.

Thanks all!

I won't be doing anything illegal and will get permissions if necessary. Thanks again!

Back