• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot form ATAPI CD-ROM Failure - Why is this happening?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DuckDodgers

I am setting up a computer for my little girls, ages 8 & 9. Lots of working parts from other dead computers I had laying around.
So the problem is, I keep getting this error when I boot up. I am using Windows 98.

Boot From ATAPI CD-ROM failure
Disk Boot Failure Insert Disk and Press Enter

I get this with every disk I try. I have changed cd roms, cables, Ide ports etc and still come up with the same message. What am I missing?

Last edited:
I've noticed on some of the older boards I've had to set the IDE controllers to auto in standard settings and let them detect the IDE drives or they wouldn't boot from them.

Did you try more than one bootable CD or just the win98 setup disc?

TimoneX said:
Did you try more than one bootable CD or just the win98 setup disc?
I have tried two different full install Win98 disks. I have not tried to boot from a bootable cd. Don't have one.

Ok, I made a boot disk from Bootdisk.com put it on a floppy and tried to boot with that, still nothing. It get to Update ECSD Successful and that's it.

I even changed the MB and the floppy dirve and I get the same thing.

Well, one thought is this. Get a legal version of Windows. Any win9x CD should be bootable, thus my post. You must be trying to install Windows from the cabs. Sorry if I don't seem concerned, but problems as a result of unofficial windows CD's aren't really going to be discussed here.

Do you have one? Put it in, and boot from it. It will ask you to boot from CD-Rom or hard drive.

Let me clarify. Windows 98 CD's, not all Win9x as that would include 95

Last edited:
Back