• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 GB missing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Broodhill

I've got two harddrives, one of them is splitted into two partition, one I'm using for OS, programs and such. On the other ones I got my music, back-ups etc. It is on 79,9 GB. But I noticed when I checked Windows XP says I'm using 40,9 GB but when I'm marking all files and folders (hidden ones too) it shows I'm only using 33 GB, so 8 GB is missing. I cleared the Recycle Bin but still 8 GB is missing, I defraged the partition, still the same. But I nocied one folder called "RECYCLER" and in there is files likes "S-1-5-21-436374069-507921405-725345543-1003" and when I check what kind of files they are it says
Contains the files and folders that you have deleted
so I ask, if it safe to delete that folder? There is one on all harddrives but this one is the biggest. Then I only got 3 GB missing because RECYLER one is 5 GB, or do someone know any other way to get my lost GB's back?

I'm running Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1

sounds like how norton unerase works. windows 'deletes' it... but unerease keeps it there, and you can quickly eat up space until you delete again what you had already deleted

So it is safe to remove the folder? And I don't even got norton. I use Panda as anti-virus, and that is it.

To view it I need to go to Tools in menu, Folder Options, View and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"

Maybe no good to delete or?

The number is a security ID for each user on your computer that deleted stuff. If you can see whats inside that folder, select everything inside, and delete the contents. If not, you should be able to open cmd, cd to the recycler folder, and then to the SID folder, and then type del *.* and press enter.

It's safe to delete the files within it, but leave the SID folder there.

When I open the files, they all go to the Recycler bin and mine is empty so it shows nothing at all. So I guess I just have to delete the files and leave folder

I tried to remove all files but I couldn't remove it all but I got this error

Cannot delete Warcraft-II: The directory is not empty

it is NOT the game Warcraft-II, it is a BNC I had, but I could not remove the logs, I got that error too, I tried to delete in safe mode, didn't work, I tried to boot with Knoppix, and it didn't work. Do someone know how to delete these files, or should I maybe format that harddrive and hope it all goes away?

Last edited:
Should I format the harddrive or do someone know how to delete those nasty files? I'd rather delete them if possible but I just can't get it to work :(

Back