• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Registry Problems! But they Fix themselves?!?! HELP?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

honhon

hey all,
just recently i started to receive a popup that says:
Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. the recovery was successful.

i didnt make any changes what so ever to my computer, i played CS for about 8hours ( really bored ) and i put it on stanby, took a nap and my mom had checked her webmail, and turned the computer off and when i started to boot it up i get that message when coming to the blue welcome screen, the computer continues to boot and has no other ill affects, i ran windoc from norton system works and also ran another registry cleaning program and fixed anything that came up in both and nothing else states any problems.
also when i look at the link in evenviewer to go to microsoft's support page this its listed as the file name: ntdll.dll has started this problem. i went to www.dll-files.com and downloaded that file and coppied over mine, problem still exsists, and i also copied it over from my 2nd harddrive where i have an exact copy of my hdd i just created this past saturday, the 5th, also below is exactly what event viewer states in the viewer's catalog....... i really need help with this, as i also stated it doesnt cause any other problems on the system, literally everything else runs perfect, i ran ad-aware and spybot, and norton antivirus and everything comes back clean, also the strange thing also, this popup does come up in safe mode, which i can understand if its a system file, but also too i have seen on some websites, that this is a crtical system file, and windows cannot run without it...... so...... why arent there any other problems if that is the case? i feal maybe windows isnt reporting something correctly...... please help!

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 2/9/2005
Time: 1:22:46 AM
User: N/A
Computer: INTELDESTROYER
Description:
Application popup: Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Also, one thing to note, i just uninstalled Norton System works, that didnt help, but i am going to be converting to the AVG setup with a good 3rd party Registry scan, if anyone would give me a few pointers on which registry scan to get i will be forever greatful! oh and yeah, help with my problem too! lol

bumpage... I have the same problem and don't know why... but it messes with my username and password for MSN messenger, my network drive share, and the ability to detect my scanner... every restart I have to redo all these things again and again and again...

Ok sorry to ask this but what excaly is the problam? (just got done gaming so mind is fuzzy). Something about a window pops up saying it fixed your registry on ever start-up? As for safe mode it could have the error reporting tool disabled. From what little I understand it sounds like windows might think something is wrong with a file thats fine, so it keeps trying to fix it. Problay one of windows recovery tools is screwing up. Or just that on every shutdown the file restores itself to orignal messed up way. You said this was a fresh install right. Make sure you get all the updates and also check out MS's website and do a search for what your problam is. There might be a fix. ( I would search but I am not evne sure what problam is) One last thing does it tell you which file has screwed up?

Last time I had this problem was from a very unstable OC (and again from a HDD that was getting bad voltages)... Windows kept tryin to screw it's self then Windows would save it's self.

I was just looking at something about this... evedently microsoft says it is a hardware problem with your ram, processor, or ide controler.

well i couldnt find anything after searching for awhile on the internet, so i reinstalled windows and updated everything to the way it was, and now everything is just peachy so it might of been something where xp was screwing itself then fixing itself..... who knows..... but its gone now so im happy =D

Sorry to bump an old thread however I am having this issue now.

Is there any fix beside reinstall/repair install for windows xp pro? I have my windows cd but not on me right now.

This only started happening after I unistalled avg 8.5 and installed avira. I hardly ever use windows so it's not that big of a deal to me, but I was just wondering.

(+1 for linux/no registry) :chair:

If it only started after uninstalling one program and installing another, I would say that there might be remnants of AVG and the system thinks that a file is corrupts hence, it keeps trying to repair it. I would do a complete registry scan using any decent registry software and see what it comes up with. I have had similar issues as this and in going through the troubleshooting steps, I have reinstalled the application (in this case, AVG) and see if that was the cause. And then I would uninstall it AGAIN because on occasion, the uninstall process does a crappy job and won't remove all files / entries correctly and running uninstall a second time, it might work. True, the steps are a P.I.T.A, but occasionally, you have to do "unorthodox" steps to eradicate some quirks.

Last time I had this problem was from a very unstable OC (and again from a HDD that was getting bad voltages)... Windows kept tryin to screw it's self then Windows would save it's self.

A big +1! I would have to agree... Its just on the borderline of rebooting, but corrupting your files instead...

Maybe you're ocing your RAM too much? Tone it down and see if it stops..

Back