• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flash.ocx crashes AOL, IE, firefox...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jacheatamobits

i have tried EVERYTHING!

SP2, SP2 uninstall, flash v6.0, 7.0, macromedia's uninstaller, reinstalled... i cant find an earlier version of IE.

i read somewhere it might be the chipset...

im using an old 1440BX, which has the SIS northbrige which is suspect...

but i used to be able to view flash on the web no problem...

maybe i need new chipset drivers or BIOS?

When you say that Flash.ocx crashes IE, AOL, etc...are you receiving an error message re: the Flash plugin and/or is the browser locking up or closing down? Open Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors)...Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and click OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click any error message(s) (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Write down a couple of the latest critical error messages related to the Flash plugin exactly as they appear (under the "Description" field), and post them in this thread.

Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.

yes i get an error message, and the browser is crashing everytime i try to view a site w/flash

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module flash.ocx, version 7.0.19.0, fault address 0x00018e7e.

no problem devices

lol, im suprised your post is so long and well typed!

pm me if u want

The only thing that I can think of offhand is the possiblity that the Flash player isn't the problem...but that sites you visited may have loaded content through Flash. If that's the case, you may have embedded content that was installed without your consent. If you haven't already, try running Ad-Aware and SpyBot Search & Destroy...which you can download from the following site:

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Have you tried re-registering the flash.ocx file? If not...type the following at the Command Prompt (Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK):

regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx

redduc900 said:
Have you tried re-registering the flash.ocx file? If not...type the following at the Command Prompt (Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK):

regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx

didnt work, srry

oh and i read that it might be the chipset in the Macromedia forums, the ppl who said it seemed to be developers...

Blackmage might be right...

Back