• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE/Media player help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaydog

When I am surfing the web and I click on a link for an mp3 or movie clip they open automaticly. I wan't it to ask me whether to open it or save it.
I dont want it to automaticly play. Does anyone know what setting I can change to do this?

[Edit]
Im playing that "hardest Riddle game on the net" thing. Maybe someof you have seen it. There is a thread in here about it.

Anyway sometimes I need to download a jpg or an mp3 from his site, but the only way to download it is by typing it into the url.

When I put the address of the mp3 in the url, it automaticly plays in media. Sometimes to solve the riddle you need to play it backwards or change the extention and I cant do that if I can't download it
[EDIT]

Last edited:
I saw a reply and I hoped it was help. Well thank you very much.

btw I do use opera but use use IE too. why?? I dunno

But I would like real help please

jaydog said:
When I am surfing the web and I click on a link for an mp3 or movie clip they open automaticly. I wan't it to ask me whether to open it or save it.
I dont want it to automaticly play. Does anyone know what setting I can change to do this?

You can just right click on the link and save the file cant you?

Sorry, I messed up. I tried to simplify my question withoutout thinking.

Im playing that "hardest riddle game on the net" thing. Maybe some of you have seen it. There is a thread in here about it.

Anyway sometimes I need to download a jpg or an mp3 from his site, but the only way to download it is by typing it into the url.

When I put the address of the mp3 in the url, it automaticly plays in media player. Sometimes to solve the riddle you need to play it backwards or change the extention and I cant do that if I can't download it

You know what? I am sick and tired of questions like this being answered by "get firefox". YOU ARE NOT HELPING! Either help with the problem or don't post, please. He's asking for help, not opinions.

cw823
Forum Moderator

Now to the question. In theory, if you go into media player, under file types, unselect, say, mpeg files, then it should as you what to do with it in the future when you enter a link to an mpeg file. Follow me? "in theory"? :)

Open My Computer | On the "Tools" menu, click "Folder Options" | On the "File Types" tab, click the appropriate file type in the "Registered File Types" box | Click the "Advanced" button | Click the "Confirm open after download" check box to select it | Click OK, and then click OK again | Repeat for each file type you want to change.

If for example, you're having a problem downloading MP3 files (no "Save as" dialog appears)...Scroll down to "MP3 File", and highlight it | Click the "Advanced" button | In the "Edit File Type" window that opens, place a checkmark in "Confirm open after download".

redduc900 said:
Open My Computer | On the "Tools" menu, click "Folder Options" | On the "File Types" tab, click the appropriate file type in the "Registered File Types" box | Click the "Advanced" button | Click the "Confirm open after download" check box to select it | Click OK, and then click OK again | Repeat for each file type you want to change.

If for example, you're having a problem downloading MP3 files (no "Save as" dialog appears)...Scroll down to "MP3 File", and highlight it | Click the "Advanced" button | In the "Edit File Type" window that opens, place a checkmark in "Confirm open after download".

Yeah, that's what I meant to say, except not so organized and detailed. :)

Thanks alot guys! that is exactly what I want.

I tried it but I dont have an advanced button to click on.
This is what my screen looks like.
folderoptions.bmp

Back