• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No S key, wierdet problem you'll ever See

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeepSky

Ok hereS the premiSe:

I waS changing my profile in Trillian, it uSed to letter S'S. Then I went to talk to my friend on AIM and Said Something that required a lower caSe S. And i realized that the S key Stopped working.

Here'S whatS wierd:

I can Still make S'S with the Shift+S and CAPSLOCK and hitting Shift+S. OK So if thatS not wierd enough I have a dual boot on my laptop with Ubuntu Linux and I can make Small and large S'S in linux no problem. (alSo the S doeSn't work when I try playing FPS gameS in windowS unleSS i'm holding Shift.

Here'S what i need:

HELP ME!!!! Any SuggetionS are welcome!

Sorry to bump, but at leaSt thiS SeperateS the good poSt (ThiS One) from the one i accidentally made.

Have you tried uninstalling / reinstalling the keyboard? If you go into the Device Manager, your keyboard should be listed under the category "Keyboards". Right click on your keyboard and select "Uninstall". Reboot windows, and hopefully when it redetects the think your S key will work properly...

Other thread taken care of BTW :)
JigPu

JigPu said:
Have you tried uninstalling / reinstalling the keyboard? If you go into the Device Manager, your keyboard should be listed under the category "Keyboards". Right click on your keyboard and select "Uninstall". Reboot windows, and hopefully when it redetects the think your S key will work properly...

Other thread taken care of BTW :)
JigPu

Yeh i tried that, but no SucceSS. Man thiS iS driving me inSane. I can't help but think that reinStalling windowS iS the only option. I can't believe that it workS fine in linux but not in windowS. It muSt be a Software problem. Any other ideaS? I'm dieing.

i just noticed a similar problem when i play WOW on my laptop. i have the keyboard mapped so the letter M should bring up the map. out of nowhere the other day M stopped working but shift M works fine. i tryed remapping and its still the same.

good luck on this one.. it is a rather strange problem.

It looks like you've managed to map the "s" key to some other function in windows. Have you tried going back and playing with the settings in Trillian? Maybe you can set it back in the same sort of manner it got set.

RaNDom cApiTALiZatIoN iS cOOl anYWaYS!

Try a different keyboard and see if it does the same thing. That would narrow it down to a software issue anyway.

I've heard of a virus or two that did this. Just randomly selected a letter and just nullfied it whenever it's used. I didn't think there were any that were still floating around that. Still it wouldn't hurt to check.

MSI: ItS not that I want to make Small S'S itS the fact that unleSS Shift iS being held down the S key doeS not reSpond. AlSo WindowS onScreen keyboard iS not able to make and S either. I click the S and nothing happenS.

What about when you type ALT+115 (hold down ALT, and type 115 on the numberpad with NumLock on). It should produce a lowercase S. If the onscreen keyboard dosen't do anything, it really sounds wierd....

What processes are running? Mabey something is intercepting the s key..
JigPu

i had something similar, tho it affected more than just the s key, it turned out to be the "F-lock" key on the logitech keyboard was stuck in, phisically

ALT + 115 doeS work.

ProceSSeS are:

SynTPEnh.exe
internat.exe
SynTPLpr.exe
alg.exe
SvchoSt.exe
wdfmgr.exe
SmSS.exe
cSrSS.exe
SeriviceS.exe
lSaSS.exe
SpoolSv.exe
inetinfo.exe
mdm.exe
tcpSvcS.exe

ThoSe are the oneS that I'm not Sure if they could be cauSing it. Any other ideaS, I have tried everything in thiS thread including a few ideaS of my own. Do you guyS think reinStalling windowS will work?

DeepSky said:
ALT + 115 doeS work.
ThoSe are the oneS that I'm not Sure if they could be cauSing it. Any other ideaS, I have tried everything in thiS thread including a few ideaS of my own. Do you guyS think reinStalling windowS will work?
Almost certanily. And if a simple reinstall doesn't work, a reformat will.

Back