• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilneel12

i was wondering, how long should i run memtest for in windows. I am using the windows version of memtest and not the dos boot version since i don't have a floppy drive.

thanks

I racked it up to 550% or so. I think the program itself mentions 20mins minimum. I think that's probably a bit conservative.

BTW memtest has ready to burn ISOs available.

k, i'll try the iso;s but i did it for about 4hrs, thats 3000% and i got 1 error at lik 2900%, should i worry about it? and retest??

just let it go for about 2 hours error free and you should consider your ram good to go, that's what i do anyways and has yet to let me down.

i always was under the impression that you should do it more, like 8 hours or overnight

If I got an error on the windows version I'd check run the boot version for a few hours and see what happens. I'd tend to trust the boot version over the windows version assuming you're not having any stability issues in windows.

yea, im gonna try that
are there any certain tests i should loop or any tests i should skip??

five

Loop five. If any are more worthless than another then I'd like to nominate test 4.

Yup test 4 gets the Dan Quail award. :santa:

lilneel12 said:
i always was under the impression that you should do it more, like 8 hours or overnight

well if your very particular about it then by all means run the bootable version overnight. then you can definetaly be sure it's fine. personnaly i don't bother unless i start getting errors in games and programs. :eh?:

lilneel12 said:
k, thanks for all the help

where do you get the window version? the DOS version reported that my chip set is not support, so i can't test my memory at all.

If you are error free for six passes, you should be fine. If you really want to be sure go for 12 hrs. If you're really anal retentive, go for 24hrs. Good luck!

warlock110 said:
yeah the advance option doesn't work and when it's scanning it doesn't display the speed of the RAM or the size for that matter, wierd IMO, BTW what's in the advance option and why doesnt' it display my RAM speed and size?

Just a program limitation I guess. I believe the behavior you're describing is the same I get with my Abit KD7g. Still works though.

yea, i just used the iso, and tested my ram overnight which was about 9 hrs. and did about 3 hours of test#5. everything was good and error free. im at 2.7v at 266fbs 5-3-3-2.5.

Back