• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Now you HT, And now you don't...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeyLikesItSI

I had a little overclocking incident with my computer the other night. Trying as usual to push the limits of my poor little china CPU and DFI 875P-T to its limits. I'm not alone in finding that if the FSB is jacked up too much and a divider is used..... You can kiss XP good-bye.

So, after running through windows XP setup, (using the "Repair the current installation" method), and a few hours of reloading drivers.... I noticed that HTT is not turned on. OK, i reset, and enter the bios to activate, and it already was...... hmm the bios is reporting that its on during boot.

Back to windows. Still no HTT. Under the device manager, the tab that used to say "Processors" is gone, where it used to list 2 logical processors.

After a little searching on the internet, i came across intel's HTT program to see if your computer is "Capable". The CPU checked ok, the Chipset checked ok, but it said the bios isn't. So, even though it worked on this bios before, i flashed to a previous bios (one that was saved and i knew worked) but still no luck. Is there some service/file/driver that XP uses to check the bios for HTT?

Has anybody run into this problem before?

Screen Shot

Your original conclusion that it's not turned on, how did you discover that? Only 1 proc in task manager? In device mgr., does it list "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" under Computer?

no, it listed something like MCP uniprocessor. So i updated the driver, there was an MCP Multiprocessor available but that didn't help. There was one other called "Standard PC" And now that i chose that, none of the other options are available. Where can i get that driver? What .INF file includes that information?

If boot up with the windows xp CD and hit F5 to force a different HAL driver...... the only thing that it shows is
-Standard PC with C-Step i486
-Other

Why wouldn't i have the ACPI or MSP options?

Yeah. I remember disabling (testing different settings) and i think thats why windows installed the way that it did. I have re-enabled it since. I have no problem trying to install it again if i knew that it would recognize ACPI. But I've got a bad feeling it won't due to the fact that i can't even force it on the windows set up.

if you installed windows without ht on it dont think you can enable it afterwards. not 100% about this but im pretty sure you need to install windows with ht enabled for it to work right people had troubles getting thier northwoods to run ht correctly when they would upgrade from a willamette or p3 system.

I agree with you, and i never had HT Disabled. I just didn't know that ACPI had anything to do with it, and installed it with that disabled. I suppose thats the root of all my problems. But i still am curious as to why I can't force the HAL that i want...

MikeyLikesItSI said:
If boot up with the windows xp CD and hit F5 to force a different HAL driver...... the only thing that it shows is
-Standard PC with C-Step i486
-Other

Why wouldn't i have the ACPI or MSP options?
In order to view all of the available HAL's, you need to use the up/down arrow keys to scroll through the list. You should see the following HAL's listed...

ACPI Multiprocessor PC
ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible
MPS Uniprocessor PC
MPS Multiprocessor PC
Standard PC
Standard PC with C-Step i486
Other

Last edited:
Thanks for your input everybody...

Red, the only options that are available are the last 2. And i mean that they are the only 2 options that even appear in the list.

Standard PC with C-Step i486
Other

I've tried choosing other and it asks for a disk provided by the hardware manufacturer

Redduc900.... you are absolutely correct. I just didn't try to scroll beyond those options. I didn't realize that the window only displays 2 options at a time. I've re-installed and am hyper threading again. Thank you everybody for your insight.

MikeyLikesItSI said:
Redduc900.... you are absolutely correct. I just didn't try to scroll beyond those options. I didn't realize that the window only displays 2 options at a time. I've re-installed and am hyper threading again. Thank you everybody for your insight.

Usually once redduc has posted, I stay out of the thread. I figure he's already solved whatever the problem was!

Back