• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ipod file locked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmTSea19

Hi, My Mom has a new iPod, and I've had no trouble putting CD's in it until now. It only has about 10 albums in it so far, so it has plenty of room. When I put the CD in, choose ITunes, I get a tiny window with:

"The iTunes 4 Music Library.itl file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file."

Could someone please tell me what this means? Thank You.

it has nothing to do with the ipod, it has to do with itunes. itunes is really just ripping the cds and putting them into a file. have you been messing with the files in your My Documents/My Music folder? or does your computer have different accounts that you use? i dont know why that error would just randomly come up. does it come up if you dont put in a cd and open itunes?

if you havent touched anything folder or file wise, then you might have to just make itunes create a new library. to do that, you just have to delete the old library. there are 2 files in My Documents/My Music/iTunes called iTunes library.xml and itunes 4 library

ONLY DELETE THESE 2 FILES, NOT THE ITUNES MUSIC FOLDER

then, when you restart itunes, it will create 2 new files that should be good to go. you will have to add the music you have on the computer already back into the library

to do that open itunes, go to file > add folder to library add my music then it should add all the music you already have into the new library and you should be set.

Thanks, zip22. I must have corrupted the files somehow, I don't know. I tried your way and it didn't work. I reinstalled iTunes, I thought I clicked to have it import my songs, and instead it erased the ipod! So, now, I have to reinstall all the software again(after deleting it a second time), and import all the music again. Unfortunately, my Mom had a lot of double CD's! I am not happy right now! :( :( :( :(

Thanks, anyway :)

Back