• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

value ram with tighter timings...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RussianMissile1

Registered
does anyone know if the Mushkin Basic Green or Corsair Value ddr400 Ram (or an equivalent) will do 2-2-2-5 at stock speed. obviously a higher voltage will be needed, but can the memory do it?

Highly unlikely. Thats not to say that you couldn't get lucky, for example, and get a set that used the Winbond UTT, but as a general rule the ICs used in that type of ram will not run 2-2-2-x at PC3200, regardless of how much voltage its fed.

It may, however, be able to run those timings if downclocked to PC2700 speeds. Again, that would depend on the chips used.

In the A64 Sandbox thread there is a person running the Corsair Value Select (2x512) at 2-2-2-11.

EDIT: I searched for where I saw this and was unable to find it so disregard this comment.

Fricken newbies! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
One guy out of how many?

Not too long ago a guy posted about running at 220 with his 2x512 KVR PC3200 with Hynix bt-d43 chips at 2-2-2-5. That may or may not have been true, but even if it was...how many out of 1000 do you think will? Probably not even 1, more likely its something like 1 out of 1,000,000.

You can get lucky with value ram and end up with some very good chips that perform well. You just can't go buy value ram PLANNING on getting ram with high performance chips that will run 2-2-2-x, hence my original "highly unlikely" response.

Reefa_Madness said:
One guy out of how many?

You can get lucky with value ram and end up with some very good chips that perform well. You just can't go buy value ram PLANNING on getting ram with high performance chips that will run 2-2-2-x, hence my original "highly unlikely" response.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to claim that everyone and their grandmother has achieved these results. Saying that 1 person did it is no indication of other people's results.

A brief search on Value Select turned up average timings of 2.5-3-3-(7-11)

RussianMissile1 said:
does anyone know if the Mushkin Basic Green or Corsair Value ddr400 Ram (or an equivalent) will do 2-2-2-5 at stock speed. obviously a higher voltage will be needed, but can the memory do it?

Definitely not Corsair Value Select!

The best I could get it was 2.5-3-3-6-1T 2.8V, 220 MHz.

However, if you pump volts into it you may get lucky and hit crazy clocks like this guy over at the houseofhelp Corsair forums. (The forum is down for upgrade/maintainence). He hit 280 MHz at 3-4-4-x (I think) at 3.6V VDimm.

im not looking for crazy clocks, i just want to be able to run tight timings at ddr400, so i can get my 2600M abit faster than it is right now.

my oc is currentky limited by my ram: ddr333 @2-2-2-5. the ram i have wont oc at any voltage.

Darksyne said:
In the A64 Sandbox thread there is a person running the Corsair Value Select (2x512) at 2-2-2-11.

EDIT: I searched for where I saw this and was unable to find it so disregard this comment.

Fricken newbies! :rolleyes:

Well, after you posted I looked for and found that thread that you mentioned and tried to find the circumstances surrounding those Corsairs and couldn't find it either.

The good thing is that I'm glad you mentioned that thread, as its chock full of good stuff. Anyone interested in A64 overclocking should go take a look at it.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=364223

RussianMissile1 said:
im not looking for crazy clocks, i just want to be able to run tight timings at ddr400, so i can get my 2600M abit faster than it is right now.

my oc is currentky limited by my ram: ddr333 @2-2-2-5. the ram i have wont oc at any voltage.

if you are looking to run in sync with the fsb >220mhz, forget it. Thats not really possible with value ram, given your modest vdimm condition.

If you are looking at Value ram, Kingston may be a good choice.

PS*Both Corsair and Kingston have Hynix chips on them.

Back