• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which stick(s) of ram is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChesterMcCheese

The OCZ PC-3700 EL Gold revision
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3700_gold_revision_3
or Corsair Twinx 3200 LL?
http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/twinx1024-3200ll.pdf
Both 1 gig

I like the OCZ simply because I like the gold heatspreaders, I like OCZ, and I like the name :)

However on paper, the Corsair probably performs much better, as well as being more expensive. But it is 3200, not 3700, so I will have to overclock it, while with the OCZ I do not have to overclock it until I overclock the CPU over.

The situation at the moment is that I have both sticks of ram I can choose to bid on, and are going at similar prices. I'm leaning towards because of the reasons mentioned above. Foolish I know. Someone want to give me some advice/talk me out of it? Thx

take the ocz. the older corsair pc 3200LL was the famed bh5, but you wont find that now. i dont know what chips they have on those things but i can almost garantee you will be happier with the OCZ Gold rev 3. that has the new hynix D5 chips that are reaching some pretty good speeds.
if you want more freedom in your ocing, get something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-006&depa=1
will run tight timings at pc 3200 but high fsb with slightly looser timings.
if your on a really tight budget though, that ocz gold rev 3 is really the stuff to get i think.

I'd get the gskill, but I'm actually bidding on the forementioned sticks, since they are going cheap.

If OCZ is better then why does the corsair cost more?

ocz markets the 3700gold rev 3 as a value part and prices it as such. the corsair LL is their "premier" product, but i think it has been phased out by the xl pretty much as their top of the line pc 3200. if your going to bid on the corsair, you should ask for teh revision number. 1.1 i think is the bh5 and if thats what it is, get it.

the Gold revision is "value" RAM? So it's designed to compete with Value Selects and such?

Suppose the 2 RAMs were the same price. Then which one to go for?

well, its not technically value ram ha ha. ocz has their own value series *not sure what its called* but it is aimed at overclockers on a budget. so they market it as a value part, but it IS a performence part. it isnt in the same class as teh pc3200Platinum rev 2 but can go as fast, and faster.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=91533&page=1

if its a 1.1, then you will get bh5 which is the best overclocking memory on tight timings money can buy. id go for those gskill sticks though if you dont win heh. they are well priced imo and offer a LOT of oc freedom. heh, beat you to it too sen ;)

xms3205v1.2

noooo its not BH5

But if suppose the 2 RAM were same price, which one would you reccommend?

Id still go for the ocz if you cant get that gskill.
This has made me look into buying more ram next month aha ha ha. thinking of replacing my 3200XL 1.1 with a late model 1.2 and grabbing either a 2x256 kit of ULK2 or V2...
If i were you, i would find a way to get that gskill memory. it may be cheaper to get one of the ones you mentioned, but if its brand new, there is likea $25 difference. even if it was a $50 difference, i would get the gskill without a doubt.

So, i wouldnt buy either, to answer your question.

Its not that simple. I'm in Australia, and the only brands of RAM we have are generic, corsair, corsair, corsair and the occasional find of OCZ. Kingston and Geil exist but only the really cheap stuff that nobody wants.

At the moment, I can get the OCZ for $310AU and the Corsair for $275AU, and I'm considering these 2 only because they are on special (actually 2nd hand but yeah they are fairly cheap).

I don't know too much about RAM - I can't tell the difference between Hynix and BH-6 and CH-5 and Samsung TCCD if held at gunpoint. All I know is that retail the Corsair costs more, everyone has a Corsair, gold OCZ plates looks better than black corsair ones, and that the OCZ already has higher frequency so I don't need to overclock it until after my CPU tops 466mhz FSB. I wish I knew more about RAM to know which one would definitely perform better, or WHY the Corsair costs more than the OCZ (does high price always equate to greater performance?) so I wish someone would just give a simple explanation as to how they are different.

I had that dual channel platinum kit and i can assure that is NOT somthing you want to get. the earlier ones had bh5 but later ones had some crappy no name chip on them that ran ok at 200 mhz, but woulndt budge higher. you might get lucky with them, and if they are cheap, by all means but....
I still think given the options, the gold rev3 is your best bet. the Corsair pc 3200c2 however is a really good deal if you are looking for cheap ram. rated 2-3-3 at ddr 400 which isnt spectacular, but its priced similarly to value ram $235 cdn on sale* I almost got a gig of that for my server since we dont have the cheap brands here in canada that seem to only be available in the us <_<.

price vs performence is totally in the mind i think. more expensive ram will make a difference in benchmarks and fps, but if your system is already able to run at a high enough speed to run playable fps, spending oodles on good memory wont make a lot of difference. the difference between cheap corsair value ram and their top of the line LL series is only a few points in sandra, and few if any fps in most games. the top end products generally garantee a certain overclock potential, ie, buying a pc 4000 part would allow you to oc your cpu fsb to pc 4000 standard garanteed.
this herein is the fun and challenge of overclocking though. lots of people come here and look for the best of the best, and just **** the money, but the principle of the thing is to experiment. I know quite a few people running kingston value ram with 2-2-2 timings up to ddr 500.

if you want a sure safe bet, get the gold rev 3. if the corsair LL and ocz platinum are cheap enough, and you dont care about a minimum overclock, go for them. I had that ocz in my tbred machine, and i cant say i was super happy with its max fsb, on a 266 mhz chip, it flew at stock.
if you have access to oodles of corsair and want tight timings, get the XL series which are rated at 2-2-2 ddr 400. they offer huge flexability in overclocking with a wide range of timings and clocks supported.

The Platinum 3200 is the Rev 1. Does that change your mind in any way? I strongly doubt that it is BH-5. Were the BH-5 ones a revision earlier than Rev 1?

The Corsair RAM is LL, which is discontinued.

and Kingston Value RAM @ 2-2-2 o_O how???

Edit: According to the link posted the Rev 1 could be: Samsung TCB3, ProMOS 5ns (relabeled), Mosel Vitelic 5ns (relabeled), Winbond CH-5. How many on that list are actually half decent?

Rev 2 is Samsung TCCD. Isn't that good?

Last edited:
Back