• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech MX-510 question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SantiMun

I just got my mx-510 from newegg and I noticed that its a USB connected to a ps/2 adapter. Which would be best to have? Leave the ps/2 adapter on it or take it off and connect it to a USB port?

they put a ps/2 adaptor on for ppl withh no free usb ports, but i don't think they'd put a usb on there unless there was some sort of performance advantage to using usb over ps/2

ok, right now its on the ps/2, i'll try it on USB and see whats happens...

Well, the main reason for using PS/2 over USB is the higher standard polling rate, 200hz over 120hz, but you can easily hack the USB settings to use much higher refresh rates.
Keep in mind that if you raise the polling rate too high, say above 500hz, you risk frying your motherboard. I've been running at 250hz for a long time without any ill effects.

Interesting information. What exactly does increasing the standard polling rate do? Is it noticeable for things like gaming or photo editing?

-Adrayic

Thanks for the info. I am getting a Razor Diamondback so I am definately interested in this. I'm just reading the thread right now to see if the patch is compatable w/ this mouse. Man, I never even knew this existed.

-Adrayic

well i've switched it and havent noticed anything so far, i'm going to play some UT2k4 and see how it works...

USB also uses cpu cycles. Sometimes when your cpu is severly loaded, you may feel your mouse freeze up on you. If i remember correctly, I've had this happen to me on my 1.3ghz P-M laptop. It only happened in games where things became intense. My mouse would just freeze.

But with faster cpu's nowadays, this shouldn't be much of a problem.

I use PS/2 anyways.

Well so far, between the two I havent noticed a difference whatsoever. I'm sure there is a difference between the two, but so far I havent found any that are noticable to me. The pointer never freezes or anything like that. So i guess it just doesnt matter, unless you have a slow computer like Dc5e said.

Nifty little 3rd party profiler for Logitech 510MX (also works for any other MX model as well)

http://www.logigamer.com/

if you have problems with it crashing when it starts you need the XML service pack, there is a link there for it.

Back