• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512 mb for $50 CAN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chado

Registered
Is it worth it to buy Ultra memory 512mb for $50 Canadian. And when people say you should use the SAME two memory sticks in dual channel do they mean the same company/brand or do they mean 2 x 512 and not 1 x 256 and 1 x 512?

I'd try & get another stick of the same ram/model as you already have. You can mix & match, but that does not always turn out ok & it's a gamble. Although, most of the time, from what I have seen, it's ok to mix as long as the sticks are some what the same speed. (i.e. ddr 400mhz/w 6-2-2-2 timings)

Same company/brand when refering to matched or dual channel configurations. But I have seen quite a few people that mix & match with no "problems" pursay, but if one stick can only do 225 fsb & one can do 215, your stuck at 215.

Whats this ultra memory you speak of? Brand? Speed?

ddr3200 400mhz.. and its Ultra from tigerdirect.ca (I know, poor business ethics etc. etc.) Ive had good business with them though and this seems like a good deal. So if I did get this would it screw up my overclock because of my current timings?

I doubt it, I'd say that it could do the timings you have pretty easy, the timings you're running look a bit loose anyway. I was hoping it'd be faster, because I REALLY want some cheap RAM that'll do 225+mhz, my PC27000 does 205 with tight settings and gets no better with loosening them or upping voltage. btw: I ran 1 512MB PC2700 and 1 256MB PC2100 in dual channel just fine at 166mhz, but dumped the 166mhz chip when I got the mobile 2600 cpu so that I could boost my 512MB up to the current 205mhz.

Back