• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bh5 vs ballistix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cuda70383

hi:
i have 2x256 ballistix & i have a chance to buy 1x512 pdp winbond bh5 2310D

should i do it? see my sig....

i know the newer ram works better for the a64's than for my nf7, but will the winbond help me that much? or do i need to try volt mod to get higer fsb?????

thanks!

You won't see high 1:1 clocks out of bh-5 unless you're able to give it more than 3.1 volts or so. Otherwise, stick with what you have.

deception``

I don't believe a 512Mb BH5 stick would do a whole lot better than what you have in your sig, but if you can get it cheap enough it might be worth playing with.

thanks for the quick reply!!!

what's the next step in getting higher fsb??? more volts to my ram??? (i know one thing leads to another or the next weakest link anyway)

Have you tried higher FSB with a lower multi? Looser ram timings and the like? That bios have the same CPC disable option as the stocker? Have you tried clocking higher with CPC disabled?

the best two ways to get high fsb with an abit nf2:
1. get insanely lucky
2. replace it with a dfi

reasoning: most nf7-s 2.0's top out at 220-230 fsb

crimedog said:
the best two ways to get high fsb with an abit nf2:
1. get insanely lucky
2. replace it with a dfi

reasoning: most nf7-s 2.0's top out at 220-230 fsb

Well not all of them.... and I ain't that lucky..... :)

TimoneX said:
^^^ disagree

Nothing wrong with Abit nF2 boards.

Unless he does a voltmod, there's no other way of him hitting high clocks with Bh-5. Period. And yes, crimedog is correct in that most NF7-S boards are not known for their fsb speeds.

deception``

deception`` said:
Unless he does a voltmod, there's no other way of him hitting high clocks with Bh-5. Period. And yes, crimedog is correct in that most NF7-S boards are not known for their fsb speeds.

deception``

I'm not entirely sure what you're basing your info on however there is an entire thread with us NF7 folks with high fsb..... my 244 is nothing next to some of the 250 and 260 fsb some of those people are/were hitting. Maybe because we use modded bios? Not sure but NF7 boards can hang with the DFIs...... well almost anyway..... :p

HousERaT said:
I'm not entirely sure what you're basing your info on however there is an entire thread with us NF7 folks with high fsb..... my 244 is nothing next to some of the 250 and 260 fsb some of those people are/were hitting. Maybe because we use modded bios? Not sure but NF7 boards can hang with the DFIs...... well almost anyway..... :p

I'm basing that on experience and the fact that on average, NF7-S users do not post high fsb speeds. While it is true that some are able to achieve such clocks, its simply not representative of the average results. Conversely, not every DFI user nets high fsbs, but it is much more common than on an NF7-S. I don't really think that I need to provide proof on this one.

deception``

I believe DFI boards may have a slight edge, but it's slight. A systematic and patient skilled overclocker should be able to get similar results with either Abit or DFI boards. Someone willing to invest a bit of time and fiddle with different bios mods and multitudes of setting combinations should end up with good results, particularly with 2x256 ram modules.

cuda70383 said:
so what's my next step (after heatsinking the mosfets)????

It really all depends.

Chances are, you are approaching the limit of your board. You might be able to get some more out of the ballistix, but you're probably going to have to looosen the timings to do so. You're only chance of hitting nice clocks with Bh-5 is to give it more volts than a unmodded NF7-S can offer.

deception``

TimoneX said:
I believe DFI boards may have a slight edge, but it's slight. A systematic and patient skilled overclocker should be able to get similar results with either Abit or DFI boards. Someone willing to invest a bit of time and fiddle with different bios mods and multitudes of setting combinations should end up with good results, particularly with 2x256 ram modules.

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but you're hearing this from someone who has owned a total of 4 NF7-S boards and 5 DFI motherboards. This is not something that I "think" is true; rather, it is based on an overall average of my results as well as others.

Additionally, Crimedog also owned a DFI at one point, but is currently on an NF7-S. So I doubt that he is speaking with bias either. To put it lightly, unless you have clocked with both boards (which we have), you are not in the best position to make such an assumption.

deception``

...but he's not using BH5.

If you've already tried CPC disabled and tried dropping the CPU multi and got no further. Then you can be fairly sure it's your ram holding you back. I'd probably experiment with 1 stick & or different modules if you have any available. Memtest is your friend to. Never hurts to take a peek at what it says at various memory timings & speeds.

haven't tried just one stick.....but my board likes slots 2&3 better than 1&3

(hve the newer blue/purple slots)

TimoneX said:
...but he's not using BH5.

If you read his first post, you would know that he is considering a move to Bh-5, which will prove futile without the volts necessary.

hi:
i have 2x256 ballistix & i have a chance to buy 1x512 pdp winbond bh5 2310D

should i do it? see my sig....

deception``

deception`` said:
Well you're entitled to your opinion, but you're hearing this from someone who has owned a total of 4 NF7-S boards and 5 DFI motherboards. This is not something that I "think" is true; rather, it is based on an overall average of my results as well as others.

Additionally, Crimedog also owned a DFI at one point, but is currently on an NF7-S. So I doubt that he is speaking with bias either. To put it lightly, unless you have clocked with both boards (which we have), you are not in the best position to make such an assumption.

deception``

Sure have tx. I like both brands very much BTW. I'm surrounded with Abit boards and right this minute waiting for the fedex dude man to bring me my 3rd DFI board so I'm not speaking from ignorance. Frankly I think DFI boards get overhyped somewhat like g.skill ram does. Good products but often people make like everything else is junk. I know that's not happening here, but it's a general trend.

Back