• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't quite understand RAM timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Biofear

I'm trying to OC my 64 3500+ but I'm having trouble trying to find the sweet spot on RAM timings. I don't quite understand how timing works. Does lowering the timings give more performance with less stability? Right now I had the timings set to 2-3-3-7. How should I to adjust them? I got Kingston 1 gig (2x512) of pc3200 hyper x dual channel. Thanks in advance. :)

yeah, still kinda cloudy on the timing thing. Also will it show up over 200mhz if it is overclocked?

you have to adjust it and test it to find the right spot. there's something of a tradeoff with timings, lower numbers = better performance, but often, higher numbers allow higher overclocks.

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
you have to adjust it and test it to find the right spot. there's something of a tradeoff with timings, lower numbers = better performance, but often, higher numbers allow higher overclocks.

Is what your saying for instance: better overclock but more unstable= 2-3-2-7. worse overclock but more stable= 2.5-3-3-10?

other way around. 2-2-2-5 timings at, say 200mhz will beat 2.5-3-3-7 at the same speed, but the higher numbered timings may allow that 200mhz to get up to say 215mhz, which will probably beat the 2-2-2-5 200mhz

basically, if you're pushing up the fsb of your processor, then loosen the RAM timings and sync the ram speed with the processor fsb. then tighten down the timings as much as you can without going unstable.

worry about the fsb first, then the timings.

These two linked articles do a decent job of giving you the overview. The first covers memory and timings, the second overclocking. What is good about the second one is that at the end it gives some tips on identifying the likely culprit in a failed overclock. In other words, it helps you determine if you need to make tweaks to the ram or to the cpu or to voltage, etc.

The process, if done right, is done in small increments with testing along the way so that you know, before proceeding further, that you have a new stable baseline that you can always come back to as your new starting point. Don't hurry, document your results for future reference and ask for help with specific issues, if needed. There are a bunch of experienced guys here that can help you sort things out and get back on track.

Memory Basics:
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=15&type=expert

Overclocking Guide:
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/OCguide/

Back