• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

Well, i've made a server using NetworkActiv, but the thing is, im running it on an old gateway...on windows 98, 64 MB of RAM, and a Geforce FX 5100 (i just love to say that :santa: )

should i keep it on 24/7?

Oh...Right....

Site

Last edited:
Wait, you're running a server using windows98? May I recomend switching to a variant of linux or BSD?

You can keep it on 24/7, although windows98 usually likes it if you reboot it every once in a while.

excuse that minor server problem, windows 98 likes to give me BSOD's...and random "ping" noises...

I sEe YoU....stewart-odell-33-78.lclark.edu

yeah...at 64 megs of ram, linux doesnt want to run, but i dunno about BSD, can it run NetworkActiv and connect to windows computers? i need to have a connection so i can update meh site

What distro are you trying? Linux in 64M (especially without X) should be no problem. I also havve no idea what NetworkActiv is. BSD can use Samba to connect to windows computers and share files.

I have plenty of ram (512mb) yet I've noticed that even under XP the comp still gets sluggish having opened and closed many programs over a few days (I keep my comp on pretty much all of the time). However an effective remedy for this I have found to be RamIdle: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3266.html.

I run this all of the time and it keeps my windows session fresh. I normally have about 300mb/512mb ram free running my webserver, msn messenger, ocforums and my downloads. I first used it when Windows XP first came out and I was running it on a Celly 766mhz with 64mb ram and it was near bearable. Then when I got this comp with 256mb ram (now 512mb) I didn't need it although since I have started leaving it on near permenantely I have started to use Ram Idle again.

All you need for a fileserver is RAM, storage, and bandwidth.

Oh, and something better than Win98. That thing is a hack waiting to happen. I bet you could pick up some PC100 RAM in the Cyber Deals section for really cheap, or heck, even on eBay. Then slap Linux on it and you'll be fine. That's just my opinion though.

Back