• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Absurd things people say about PC's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twEEkerAreUs

Reading over many threads & topics I see people toss in comments about "This person was such an idiot, has no idea what they're talking about, can't believe someone would think that, etc" Post in this thread
about a conversation you had, lectures you've heard, a class you were taking "School/College", arguements,

anything that had to do with PC's & was so absurdly over the top you didn't think that someone could possibly think that was true. Opinions are alright but try to use more or less cold hard facts. For a example here are a few of mine, good chunk from high school since I graduated not that long ago.

School IT claimed she had 6Gigs of PC-2100 DDR Ram (Yes RAM) on a cheap dell computer (Not Server) running Windows 98 at home.
--------------------
School IT's telling me how Novell is so secure that they didn't even have to configure anything default is fine, it would be a waste of time. That's untill someone sent a broadcast notification message across the entire district network tree telling everyone to shut off every computer due to a virus spreading. You wouldn't believe how many people did it, schools shut down there servers & almost all the workstations.
--------------------
2nd year CCNA Networking teacher told us that TCP/IP isn't as popular as it use to be. :confused: When I asked to enlighten us more on the matter he blew me off.
--------------------
My A+ teacher was dead serious saying "PCI Videocards are backward compatible with AGP videocards & vice versa & that AGP are high end slots that can use all kinds of hardware other then video". I actually got into a huge argument during class over this which she got pissed about & would not demonstrate to the class. :bang head
--------------------
A teen told me that any videocards Nvidia/ATI made were considered low quality & he wouldn't waste his money on it because nobody buys them. "I guess onboard video is the l33t R0XX0R?"
--------------------
E-Machines are just as good as any other retail/custom built computer so why would you spend more on anything else? :eek: "Yes someone actually swore by this"
--------------------
College XHTML teacher said that Netscape & Firefox absolutely have no connection to each other & Firefox is a Linux only browser. "Ok?"
--------------------

I could go on & on but let's hear other people's experiences.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :-/

twEEkerAreUs said:
--------------------
My A+ teacher was dead serious saying "PCI Videocards are backward compatible with AGP videocards & vice versa & that AGP are high end slots that can use all kinds of hardware other then video". I actually got into a huge argument during class over this which she got pissed about & would not demonstrate to the class. :bang head
---------------------

That's rich.

I was leaving a friends house, he asked me why I had to go. I told him i was going to lap a heatsink for my computer. He told me to give it to him, he would weld it on to the computer for free.

I was in another forum talking to a guy who runs his house on 12V everything, no power lines to his property, and he got me a bonus link on 12V LED's. Another poster, the same friend of mine that sent me the stick-on "diamond plate" for my case mod, tells me I could make millions if I started building acrylic cases and put LED's in them. Ummm, buddy, that shipped sailed many tides ago, heh heh heh. :D :rolleyes:

I tried to explain to a woman in the same forum that her chip was the CPU, but like Aphex_Tom_9 I was wasting my keystrokes, she informed me that the final cable went from the back of her CPU to her monitor, so therefor the whole case/tower assembly was the CPU. She told me I didn't know anything, and that I should do some studying up on the subject before giving out the wrong info.

I guess I was told. :eek:

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
i hate it when people point to the monitor and say 'computer' or the computer and say 'cpu'
... or when they call their whole rig their "harddrive". Not sure if that is common in english, but it sure is in Norwegian.

And I have a quote for you guys too:

A co-worker of mine was talking about his upgrades:
He: "I've upgraded my memory."
Me: "Ok, what speed did you get?"
He: "Don't know, but it's Corsair. It's the best brand in the world."
Me: "Hmmm, who told you that?"
He: "The guys in the shop..."

Sure, Corsair is a great brand, but I claiming that one product is the best in the world is just stupid.

Additional Info: He had a nforce2 board, can't remeber which, with a barton 2500+ running 133 fsb with 2x512MB pc3200 Corsair valueram... A local shop built the machine for him. Say no more!

In november of 04, a classmate did a presentation in a composition class about macs. He claimed that HL2 and doom 3 were available on the mac, and ran much faster on macs than PCs. It was sad that nobody else in the class had a 'WTF?' look on their face.

DaWiper said:
... or when they call their whole rig their "harddrive". Not sure if that is common in english, but it sure is in Norwegian.

And I have a quote for you guys too:

A co-worker of mine was talking about his upgrades:
He: "I've upgraded my memory."
Me: "Ok, what speed did you get?"
He: "Don't know, but it's Corsair. It's the best brand in the world."
Me: "Hmmm, who told you that?"
He: "The guys in the shop..."

Sure, Corsair is a great brand, but I claiming that one product is the best in the world is just stupid.

Additional Info: He had a nforce2 board, can't remeber which, with a barton 2500+ running 133 fsb with 2x512MB pc3200 Corsair valueram... A local shop built the machine for him. Say no more!

Had heard the same type of thing from a person, too, probably a woman.

A person did call their system unit the hard drive. LOL.

samuraisam said:
The Classic

"I don't know, it's a Dell"

*puking sound*

-Sam

^^^^ thats EXACTLY what my friend said when i asked him what the specs on his dell is....and he also said....' IT HAS A INTEL PENTIUM 4 PROCESSOR IN IT!!' OMG!!!!.......then i proceeded to ask him what speed his P4 ran at and he said ' i dont know, but it sure pwns your homemade comp' :bang head
:rolleyes:
i got a good laugh out of that conversation though :p

Last edited:
We've got a computer shop here in town that has an old hard drive with the cover off hanging on a wall by a nail. Above it is a sign that says "This is not your CPU. This is your hard drive, which your data is stored on. Your monitor, keyboard, mouse etc do not plug into it!!!!"

Let me see...

1. A "friend" (noob pretending to be expert) claimed he got his T-bird 1.4 up to 2.6 GHz on air...... He then added "My CPU is sensational!". Indeed. I was speechless.

2. I once saw someone asking in this forum if using RAID 0 would improve his framerate. Good one!

3. Two guys working at a computer shop were convinced that the transfer rate of 1x CD was exactly the same as 1x DVD. Quote: "Don't forget you get much better transfer rate with CDs. The CD speed is up to 52x, while DVDs only read up to 16x".

UK magazine Micro Mart describing the Pentium as the first 64 bit Processor, one of the editors talking about her new Geforce 3 MX, and one of them telling a guy to throw away an M848ALU (400 FSB) because it only worked with Thorughbreds & Bartons not the 'Brand New' Sempron 2700+

Back