• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burner Probs. Need Help Please *paypal reward*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robb

Registered
So ive been having some problems with my dvd burner. I was having some issues burning cd's using nero, but i got that figured out, but it only burns track at once and not disc at once. The Dvd burner has a problem with the lead-in i believe, it will not even start to burn the cd and the error come before it even writes the dvd. I have tried using Nero, Alcohol 120, dvdsanta, all of these programs come back with various errors of why it cant burn the dvd. The problems first happened when i reinstalled my system in a new case, i also used rounded ide cables when i switched cases. I have tried switching back to regular flat ide cables, i have flashed the burner with the newest stuff. I have also tried uninstalling the burner, and then windows will recognize it when it restarts, this problem is really bothering me and i need idea's, if anyone can help me solve this, i will paypal them $5.00, possibly more if i feel generous :). Thanks

have you tried a different os? I would try booting into knoppix and see if the problem still occurs there using k3b (you will need a second cd drive for this). If it works there, you will probably have to reinstall windows, if not, itis probably a problem with the burner itself. Alternatively, you could probably try a different cd/dvd burner to find out the same thing, but I would try both meathods.

anything less extreme i can do w/ the current drive in place?

I had the same problem with my PC last year it was working fine then it suddenly stopped burning CD's the next day. I was using a Philips 52x32x52x drive I took it back and got a refund tried 2 more drives after that no go then switched IDE cables still no go. I gave up until now 9 months later I borrowed my friends burner to see if it would burn some data it finnally burned to CD but it's early days yet.

What I've changed since last year was moving over to round IDE cables from ribbons. Updated my motherboards BIOS to the latest version and I have SP2 installed. Plus I now have 1GB DDR memory last year I only had 256mb but that wouldn't stop you burning CD's. You could try updating your MB BIOS like I did could help even if your manufacturer's latest BIOS dosn't say it fixes burning problems like mine did cause it's helped me.

I guess you've never experience knoppix? It is not extreme, as noted. You can learn more and download an iso here: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html . It is very easy as it boots right off of the cd into kde (the linux equivalent to the desktop environement, ok, one of them) and looks very much like windows. I comes preinstalled with many programs including a very good burning program called k3b. You will need to have the knoppix cd in a different cd drive to test cd burning because it needs to constantly read off of it (as if it were the hdd). Try it. It is a great, risk-free way of troubleshooting problems.

just to throw out some stuff, make sure that your drive is jumped to master and is in the proper position on the IDE cable: end connection on the IDE cable, and that the proper MB connection with the IDE is being made. Or if slave, likewise.Once had a conflict with, real media and my burning. I would get intermittent coasters with a burner and couldn't figure it out. It came down to that the problems only occurred when I was listening to NPR or BBC with RM, it was related to the config of RM. Even though I was not using it for any burning or auto playing functions, and thought I had configured it as such it still had some hooks.
So look for software incompatibility. Also have you checked your system and application logs concerning your errors?

BTW you don't need to offer $$$$$ here.

what motherboard? if you're using an nforce based board, go back to using Microsoft's Standard IDE controller and uninstall the nvidia IDE controller drivers.

Back