• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best program to play Video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
What is everyones favorite program to play video? I have been using winamp for video, but it doesnt do wmv files very well, and it has other problems as well.

I have tried the VideoLan client, and i like it, but it just feels kinda of "beta-ish"... it works, plays all of the video that i want it to, and its fast. Basically, to get it to work the way I want to use the skined interface rather than the standard, but it wont save the setting. Has anyone used VLC and overcome this?

Alternativly, does anyone have a favorite media player they would like to recommend?

I've always liked PowerDVD. WinDVD has also grown in my eyes. As for freeware I like Radlight. Not sure how the current version is though.

ok, i figured out what i have to do to make VLC launch in skinned mode. Its just a switch added to the shortcut target. But the problem is i want to be able to launch it via a media file and have it open in video mode. Is this possible? Basically, is there a way to double click a video file and have it launch VLC with the proper switch so it comes up the way its supposed to?

i install a bundle on my PC..

Windows Media Players with plugins specially divx for most video files
Winamp for audio files
PowerDVD for DVD's (WinDVD is good but i prefer PowerDVD)
Quicktime for mov and some avi (Quicktime files)
RealPlayer for rm and 3gp

okay, i got VLC working the way i want it, and it is now officially my favorite media player. If you havent tried it check it out. Its very fast, especially at opening files, even windows media video (nothing else but media player has ever been quick with those for me, and even that isnt great). It will even seek quickly in WMV files, which is totally unheard of in my experience. The only thing i have found sofar that i dont like is that you have to grab the title bar to drag the video window, rather than being able to drag it from any point like most players... but thats a very minor point IMO.

I use wmp, quicktime, but for my precious divx movies I use the divx player all the way. The post processing feature that is unlocked with certain radeon cards really makes a great difference in how the video looks. But thumbs up for VLC, lots of codec/subtitle compatibility while not seeming packed with crap.

i like powervd and Divex but does divex play everything that power dvd does?
if so i would just use divex cuz both are good but power dvd doenst play divex stuff..

syberspy9 said:
i like powervd and Divex but does divex play everything that power dvd does?
if so i would just use divex cuz both are good but power dvd doenst play divex stuff..

It's called Divx, there is no E anywhere...

Back