• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

iPod shuffle.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zip22

do_not_eat_ipod_shuffle-338.png
3. Do not eat iPod shuffle​

i just got my ipod shuffle, and it is one of the best purchases i have made. $150 for 1gb was more than worth it. i really dont know why they're trying to promote the shuffle. they should have called it the ipod micro. it would have been perfect cause this thing is so tiny. all in all, im really pleased. now i can finally put my ety er-6i's to work.

DSCF0468.jpg

DSCF0477.jpg

DSCF0476.jpg

im also interested in what is to come accessory wise. the usb plug on the bottom is not normal USB. it has the 4 normal USB contacts, but then inbetween each contact, there is another smaller contact.

DSCF0488.jpg

i hope theres a line out, so i can hook it up to my car. maybe once i get a DMM i can do some tests as to what these extra contacts are.

for all you apple haters out there( :argue: ), i was really considering the sandisk mp3 player for $130. when i got to best buy, the sandisk just had no apeal. it just looked like another generic cheap mp3 player. the ipods simplcity apeals to me. i have white sheets, a blank desktop, and a clean desk. i like things simple, and apple does things simple. its also lighter, and IMO more comfortable to control.

i bought a few accessories online, since i thought they were reat deals and i'll probably be using them

shuffle charger: $4.50 (apples costs $30)
DSCF0479.jpg

shuffle "dock": $0.99 (apples costs $30)
DSCF0478.jpg

now for some benchmarks:
untitled.jpg

SiSoftware Sandra

Benchmark Results
Combined Index : 356 operation(s)/min
Endurance Factor : 39.2
512B Files Test : 431 operation(s)/min
32kB Files Test : 388 operation(s)/min
256kB Files Test : 257 operation(s)/min
2MB Files Test : 46 operation(s)/min
64MB Files Test : 3 operation(s)/min

Performance Test Status
Run ID : on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 2:38:13 PM
SMP Test : No
Total Test Threads : 1
SMT Test : No
Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
Processor Affinity : No

512B Files Test
Read Performance : 19749 operation(s)/min (165 kB/sec, 0x)
Write Performance : 168 operation(s)/min (1434 bytes/sec)
Delete Performance : 200 operation(s)/min
File Fragments : 1.0
Combined Index : 431 operation(s)/min

32kB Files Test
Read Performance : 4496 operation(s)/min (2398 kB/sec, 13x)
Write Performance : 155 operation(s)/min (83 kB/sec, 0x)
Delete Performance : 196 operation(s)/min
Combined Index : 388 operation(s)/min

256kB Files Test
Read Performance : 730 operation(s)/min (3115 kB/sec, 17x)
Write Performance : 120 operation(s)/min (512 kB/sec, 2x)
Delete Performance : 177 operation(s)/min
Combined Index : 257 operation(s)/min

2MB Files Test
Read Performance : 90 operation(s)/min (3072 kB/sec, 17x)
Write Performance : 20 operation(s)/min (683 kB/sec, 3x)
Delete Performance : 302 operation(s)/min
Combined Index : 46 operation(s)/min

64MB Files Test
Read Performance : 3 operation(s)/min (3277 kB/sec, 18x)
Write Performance : 2 operation(s)/min (2185 kB/sec, 12x)
Delete Performance : 206 operation(s)/min
Combined Index : 3 operation(s)/min

DSCF0467.jpg

Ahhhhh, 8x facial hair lol :D

I really want to buy the 512 Mb Shuffle. Keep me updated on how you like it. When my tax refund comes in I'm buying a new car headunit and probably a shuffle to go along with it :D Looks sweet.

You doin anything with the earbuds that came with it? PM me if you want to get rid of them.

taste good? :p

Personally, I'd rather get a hard-drive based mp3 player. But the shuffle actually doesn't look too bad for also using it as a flash drive.

congrats :)
is the battery replacable? how long does it last?
just got a 4g 20gb for chsristmas and i love it, too :santa:
how do you like the base on the etys?

the battery is not replaceable. i have hear some people saying 2-3 years, but i dont know if thats correct. its the same type of battery as is in the ipod.

its supposed to last 15 hours per charge according to other people (apple says 12). it takes 4 hours for a complete charge, and 2 hours for an 80% charge, but i dont think i'll have an issue since itll be plugged in whenever im at a computer.

i really like the etys a lot.

say how are the er-6 compared to those sony ones you put into your ears (WELL BETTER) but has anyone compared..
i dont know the sony's name but they only do one set which fits INTO the ears like the er-6 or 9's....

Oh, are those headphones the stock ones that it came with? Sorry, I don't know anything about the Ipods. I thought you just had the earbuds laying in the box still. NVM lol.

zip22 said:
heres a review of Er-6i to the sony EX71 (i think thats what you were talking about)
http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73150

THANK YOU!

well knew it but I do not have any money..... oh well maybe in april... definatly september or xmas though nice new SUPER earphones for my walkman :)
(I river hp140)

but now I am wondering shall I get the Etymotic ER-6 or the Etymotic ER-6i

the i has 8 db more sensitivity and slight more bass... mhh mhhhh
and white headphones.. juck i look like i am using an ipod.. (OH NO)

Last edited:
i got my er-6i's for $50

there was a deal on the er-6's for $50, and they ran out (or made a mistake) and sent me the er-6i's.

shure e2c or e3c are a very nice option too!
i have the e2c and they are awsome. can be had for 55$ at some places.
i havent used the etys for myself, but people say that the shures are less microphonic and have more base.
if youre interested in this topic you can find the real geeks here :beer:

I bought a Dell Mini DJ, and then this thing was announced a month later, I was kinda pissed, because I would have much rather had this. Also, the mini dj doesn't hold a charge well, at least mine dosen't.

Enjoy your Shuffle. :)

It's cool to see someone who gets some worthwhile earphones for their player! Most people end up shelling out ~$300 for a player and use $10 earbuds. I'm using the Shure E2c's and Sennheiser HD555's on my iPod :D

I don't suppose you use head-fi.org?

To he who thought it was a lot for those earphones, think of the UE10Pro earphones at ~$800+

To he who thought it was a lot for those earphones

"He" :D.......... That's a freaking lot of money for headphones. I've never had "nice" headphones before though so maybe they are worth the money. I use Sennheiser pc150's for gaming and they are awesome. If the earbuds can handle better frequency's then I wouldn't mind shelling out a little extra cash for them. Although I'm minus one ipod so I'm going to save up for the Shuffle right now. Can you use it in your car if your headunit accepts Ipods?

yep people you should all invest in a good souncard... cabels and an amp for ur speakers etc...

makes such a difference.. and nice headphones ahhhh so good

I've seen earbuds going up into the 700 dollar range, so 50 bucks is nothing.

Back