• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer wont start up normally

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oso_fast

hey guys.
My situation is like this, I have a slight overclock on my xp 2800 to 2.21 (200X11) with idle temp's at 34 deg celcius. I have cheapo ddr400 ram and the computer was working fine before this.

Long version:

I had recently acquired a second moniter and set it up on my computer, installed ultramon so i can manipulate the dual screens. also on the same day i had installed f@h and been running it fine.

I wake up the next day (i had my computer on) and the computer was on the screensaver. So i move my mouse and then i look at both moniters to find that my desktop is empty and i cant alt+crt+del. So i press the restart button on my computer and it wont work...so i had to hold the shutdown button for 5 seconds in order for it to shutdown. Started it up again and worked fine for the first couple of days like that. Until....

Today i wake up and find that the computer was in the same situation as before. So i hold the shutdown button and then try to reboot. it goes to the windows loading screen and then i get to a black screen. So i had to press the shutdown button in order to restart. Go to safe-mode and scan for virus's/spyware/adware using kaspersky/spybot/adware respectively. Found some problems and then restarted and i could finally go to the windows screen without safe-mode. Changed some setting on the computer and i had to restart and then i had the black screen after the windows loading screen. I have tried to run the virus scanner and adware stuff to fix the probelm but it didn't work. So now iam stuck in safe mode and i can't really do anything.

short story:

My computer cannot go past the windows loading screen (without using safe-mode) without getting a black screen.

The Question:

Anyone have any ideas to fix it?

oso_fast said:
idle temp's at 34 deg celcius.
Idle temp means very little. What are your load temps? My first suspect is an overclocking related problem. I think re-installing at stock and some stability testing (prime95, memtest86, cpuburn) are in order.

well somehow it fixed itself??? i moved all the important stuff to another harddrive before trying to mess around with the os. and then i restarted and it worked fine...really unsure what the problem was. But what was weird was that when i tried to play a video afterwards it told me that i didnt have windows media player. Just had to download that again and everything worked fine afterwards.

Regarding Gnufsh's post, i am currently prime stable for 4 hours for the time being with load temps at 48 deg celcius. I almost automatically assumed that it wasn't an oc probelm since i've had the computer at this speed (2.2ghz) for a few months now (previously at 2.31 but i couldn't stand the noise).

Thanks for the help everyone

Hope it doesn't come back again.

Back