• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dos ntfs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adrian nelson

so i desided to do a format/reinstall,
because useing scsi drivers for ide hard drives prolly aint good,
and my lan isnt working ether
so i reboot useing my trusty win98 boot disk (startup disk), and
it cant find my hard drives, after sleeping on it (the idea not the hard drive)
i desided that its must be that my drives are ntfs not fat32 because thats the error im getting. (cant find a fat partion)

so anyway is there a way to boot into a dos which sees ntfs drives? or another way to format a ntfs drive

thanks

sorry forgot to say im useing xp pro
and yer i tryed that but it gave a protection fault,
i know it should, ill try again

put the IDE drive on the motherboard IDE 100, or make sure you F6 and load the drivers for your ATA adapter

i alway reccommend installing from the standard IDE, then load the RAID, SCSI, or ATA controller drivers and confirm their operation, then you can shut down and put the boot drive on the faster controller

i think i have, you meen running the hard drives off the mobo? if yes then yes i am
so i got the cd to boot by giveing it abit of a clean and putting it in the cdrom rather than dvdrom.
and the pci.sys file is corupt. (theres a nick in the cd i bet its in that file)
thanks for your help but i gess i need to get another xp-cd or try to fix the problems the hard way.
i was going to try installing windows on my 2nd hdd and formating it in windows that way, but the cd wont launch in dos, (or windows) so that wont work

Try IBM dos,also called PC dos.It does see NTFS and can fdisk copy whatever.I have been using it to boot Ghost for a few years and it work great as long as it can see the drives.Some sata drives cannot be detected.Look here. Use the 7.01 disk.You will need winimage to write it to a floppy.Once loaded to floppy,you can make a boot cd and add other files or programs like Ghost.

thanks for the help everyone,
im gona download one of those boot disks,
which one is the you recomend on that page shadowdr
ive gone a brough a copy of winxppro, as my first copy was just that

A company called Winternals sells an application that will mount NTFS partitions under dos, but you really should take a look at UBCD or the original PE Builder. You can open a console and run chkdsk and repair the volume once you boot from one of those disks. type: CHKDSK C: /F /V /R /X and let it try and repair the broken files...

Back