• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new (and first homebuilt) rig!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

Check it out. I've finally got it up and running at a nice, stable OC. Still working on the mem timings a bit, and I just had to reinstall windows because of a failed OC (dont ask me how that works). Anyway, here it is! Comments are welcome. Oh, and sorry if I put this in the wrong section.

I apoligize in advance for the horrible quality. My only digital camera is the <1 megapixel thing on my digital camcorder.

Front on view. That grill houses a 80mm fan, and the little blue rectangle is a temp sensor. The silver knob to the left controls the 4 80mm case fans.

Slightly higher view. You can see the 80mm exaust fan.

Side view. You can see my sucky cabling job from here. Its actually not that bad, considering theres 11 fans (5 case, 2 PSU, 1 CPU, 1 per gfx card (2), and one on the chipset). Plus, all the important stuff gets fresh air. The gfx cards are right under the bottom 120mm, and the cpu (under the top 120) gets air from the 2 80s on the left that blow straight through my XP-120. The HDs are right behind the 80 in the front grill, and the PSU has its own 2 fans. You can also see my SLIed gfx cards...ahh, SLI... :clap:

Side angle. You can see the window and the front LEDs

Gotta love those boxes. This is everything but the case box (a monster), the XP120 box (just a generic white cardboard box), and the plextor box (a generic brown cardboard box).

My first rig that I'm proud of owning, my first rig that I built from scratch, and my first rig that I OCed. Not too shabby IMO. Again, comments are welcome.

Last edited:
You attached the thumbnails. Fix you links, its rather hard to see whats going on, but from what I can tell it looks pretty nice.

huh, thats weird...I tested the links on that computer (currently running S&M) and they worked fine when I posted them, but now on the laptop, they aren't working. Weird. Oh well, thx schismspeak, I'll fix em right away.

Thanks for the feedback guys. @d94, yes I am running SLI on the (very bad) stock PSU. 11.58 on the 12v rail under load, yeah!

Wow I need a new PSU. :D

[EDIT] Links fixed, thanks again schismspeak. I couldn't get it to post the thumbs as the link, so I just left them as hypertext. I also want to add a little insight into my *amazing* cabling job: scotch tape. See the random 4pin molex sitting above the handle? Thats from one of the 80s on the side there. They run up between the fans and the door, under that aluminum bar that the PSU is kinda resting on (its actually hollow from the other side, so the wires are actually in it), straight across to the other side where it meets with the 80 on top (you can kinda see a taped down SATA cable just to the right of the PSU on the far side), then down to where my floppy is where it meets with the front panel connector and the front fan. Same kinda deal with the SATA, USB and Firewire cables. Sheer genius :D . [/EDIT]

Last edited:
man thats a toight rig :clap:

i didnt realize how big that xp-120 was. heh, glad i didnt get it cuz now i know for a fact it wouldnt fit in my case. kudos to the twin 6800GTs. i got one of them, so i know two of em's gotta put up some crazy numbers.

_l4st_chanC3__ said:
man thats a toight rig :clap:

i didnt realize how big that xp-120 was. heh, glad i didnt get it cuz now i know for a fact it wouldnt fit in my case. kudos to the twin 6800GTs. i got one of them, so i know two of em's gotta put up some crazy numbers.

thanks.

I love the 120... closest you can get to water while being on air.

SLI is a beast...I had to sacrafice some procsessing power for it (my limit was $2k), but as a gamer, its well worth it. My only gripe is that I'm not patient enough to wait for the G70s, which will have native SLI and PCIe support. Currently, the SLI cards are NV40s (6800 AGPs) with NV45 bridge chips.

that is one hella sweet rig :clap: only wish my parnets have the money for one like that :eh?: but i choose sweet rig or motocross racing which im currently 3rd in the nation would of had 1st but had some bad luck (someone fell in fornt of my and got stuck :temper: :mad:

Thanks again!

If you want SLI, you're probably a gamer. And if you are a gamer, you want AMD. Simple as that (PLEASE don't turn this thread into ANOTHER Intel/AMD war!). Also, anyone looking into an SLI rig should consider DFI versus Asus...one of the few choices I regret making about the parts for this rig.

LoneWolf121188 said:
Currently, the SLI cards are NV40s (6800 AGPs) with NV45 bridge chips.

wait so you can use the AGP 6800's for sli too??? i thought only the pci-e were sli ready.....

doesnt say anything about sli compatable on my bfg 6800gt agp box......

im soo confused now....at any rate nice system man.....

No you cannot use agp in sli, you are correct. Other guy is saying that the 6800 cards are no different than the agp version, they are just using an agp to pci-e bridge chip.

Back