• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows boot-up time and general use

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wzc89

Registered
I am running Windows XP Professoinal Service Pack 1.
My computer takes around a minute or more to boot up. And this is when i disconnect my DSL modem..when I have it in, it takes another 30 seconds. Anyone know why?

And also, can I reduce my boot time? My school computers boot up in half the time with network logins and everything, and the computers are half as fast. I have minimal things on my msconfig/startup. Only about 2 apps nothing more. I have 22 processes in total, and I regularly scan for spyware.

SOmetimes when I"m using my computer, like, I am listening to music, and try to open my Browser, it takes a while. THe computer chugs it up. Same when IM closing an old game like counter-strike 1.6. The probelm with these, is that it doesn't always happen, sometimes it just does.

PS: I wouldn't mind installing SP2 either, but , the last time I did my computer was very slow.
Thanks for any help.
-Andrew

this happens all the time, and it drove me nuts for a loooong time :mad:

pulled from here:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=235571

A common performance problem with Windows XP is 'start lag,' in which the operating system boots up normally, the desktop is visible and usable, but programs will not start, and selecting icons and using the start menu are extremely slow. This can take anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes to clear up, and can make using the operating system extremely frustrating, especially if you are in a hurry after the reboot.
This delay is generally caused by Windows XP's networking services looking for other computers and advertising their functions over the computer's network connections.
If this problem is driving you nuts, there is a way to reduce or eliminate the delay, though if you are attached to a home network, it will reduce your computer's functionality on that network.

If your computer is not attached to a home network:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage.'
Expand 'services and applications' and select 'services' to open the services window.
Highlight the 'workstation' service, right click and select 'properties.'
Set the 'startup type' dropdown box to 'disabled.' Click 'ok.'
Note that you will need to re-enable the workstation service should you wish to network your PC in the future.

i disabled this and "computer browser" service at the same time, one of them did the trick

Gnusfh, This is one of my favorite quotes!!!!!!! It hasnt fit the times more since it was writen!!!

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Back