• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help!!! C drive wont take OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mk000

I have two drives, Raptor 74Gb, and another SATA 300Gb. Both are formatted. I can install windows to the 300Gb fine. But I of course want the 10K spin drive to be my C: Anyway, you load the CD windows files, it wants to restart to run windows, it restarts, with the 74Gb drive only, it'll say errorr detecting OS.... I've tried so much its sick.

Ive thought jumpers, well SATA dont need em, and there both set to factory set.

Ive thought Bios. I always have the correct HD bootup sequence.

Ive had both drives soley plugged in each to test all this. And Ive had the 300Gb with windows, and cofirmed the 74Gb drive works fine. But why only as a back up????

HELP!
MK :thup:

did you F6 in setup and install the RAID drivers from floppy prior to install?

if you cant do this, then install on the 300 make sure your system is set, all drivers are loaded, and then ghost over to the sata drive

hmmm

I'm in this position because ghost would not work. Would copy what seemed to be all the files. Then on boot, ERROR no os detected!

I didn't consider the RAID, why do I have to do that? I have a floppy drive, just no disks... I'll get one to fix it of course. So what do I have to do with the RAID? I didn't plan on RAIDing.

well, it doesnt matter that its raid, i was just making an assumption that your SATA controller was a RAID one, as most ive seen are

nevertheless, windows may not have the drivers for it in the install package (they cant have them all of course), and curiously enough, most of the time the install wil go normally, dunno how it sees the dam drive to begin with, but it almost always does, then it hits the automatic restart part and you get booty, nada, bupkis

sometimes it even cycles back to the setup menu, if you have the CD in, and begins the cycle again

anywhoo, you need to download the drivers for your SATA controller, put them on floppy, and at the very beginning when its checking your system, theres a message at the bottome to "press F6 to install third party drivers", press F6 and stick in the floppy, the instructions after that are self explanitory

this will bunk your install on most any ATA133, SATA, SCSI controller...been an issue pretty much since internal SCSI came out, thats why the prompt is there, they havent ever updated the text to read 133, SATA, etc (or maybe they have and i just never noticed) :)

good luckenzee

btw, what was your ghost problem?
i imagine it may have been due to the C drive issue with ghost, but i need more info to help there

hmm

That sounds right, but consider this, why does it install fine on the 300Gb SATA drive? Its the same chip.

My board is ASUS Nforce4 SLI

doh !

you got me there, i missed that in your first post :confused:

did the 300 have your OS already on it?, and it pulled the drivers from the previous install? (shooting in the dark there)

not boot sequence

i have sequence, removable, cd, hd... and hd is always just the one at a time. So if it were plugged in, it would boot.

you would think that, wouldnt you?

doesnt hurt to try putting it at the top to be sure, i have seen BIOS's do weirder things when it comes to boot devices

also, there is likely an option in your BIOS to allow boot ROm on the RAID/SATA, make sure thats enabled (i know you had it going with the 300, just trying to eliminate everything)

I have a new setup with the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe, a 74GB SATA Raptor and I can't get a sucessful XP Pro install either. I've also tried IDE drives, SCSI drives and STILL can't get past the reboot into GUI XP setup. Since Microsoft offers unlimited install support I've been working with them and they can't figure it out either. What a pain! The weird thing is I got Win 2000 Advanced Server to install the first time.

A8N-SLI Deluxe & Raptor 74 - Failed XP Pro Install

Cannot get XP Pro w/imbedded SP2 to install on my new system. Everthing is great until it reboots then if fails before even getting to the GUI desktop with "Error loading operating system". I've tried other drives also, a IDE ATA133, and a SCSI setup. None have gotten past the reboot. I WAS able to install Win 2000 Advanced Server on an IDE drive the first try. Is this a mobo or Raptor 74 drive problem? I've done several Recovery Console repair attempts (boot.ini, bootcfg, fixboot) to no avail. Any ideas?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you using the correct driver (press F6 with install) depending on which controller you're plugged into? If you're plugged into regular SATA but loading the drivers for the RAID controller you'll have this problem for certain.

Back