• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Update failures, since november...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionlion82

Updates allways fail

EDIT: Got it, for some reason I needed to uncheck "Read Only" in c:\windows\inf so the updates could write to it... I know that I never made it write protected....

for a good whie now ( november i think) all updates have failed... the automatic ones, and the old school go-to-the-website-and-do-it as well...
every time the same 4, then 5 then 6 would fail... i bet its a SP2 thing...
today for s*its and giggles, i clicked on the update-is-ready-click-me thing, and POOF!!! it seems it worked.... (edit or so it seemed)
i tried everything i could think of for months- reghacking, messing around with mcaffee stuff, every setting known to man simple stuff, advanced stuff... but suddenly to spite me ( and all the time i spent on it) Pooof!!!!
i havnt restarted since i got them this morning, so i dont know if its a sure thing, but XP is now in the territory of unexplained phenomena....

EDIT:
seems i now have a collection of 13 failed updates... cant tell if theyre new or not... ( not that its too bright to post this)a list of the failed ones:
Critical Update for Windows XP (KB886185)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB890047)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB873333)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB867282)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB891781)
Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB888113)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB873339)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB885250)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB890175)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB885836)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB885835)

Last edited:
Back