• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sticks of ram in dual channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peter p

Can you just have 3 sticks of ram in a 4 dimm dual channel motherboard or do they all have to be filled up?

You can't have dual channel with 3 sticks.

It's best to have 2 sticks of memory, 4 sticks offers less o/cing ability.

I don't care for the dual channel because my ram is not paired. What I'm asking is if I use 3 sticks will all my ram be working (single channel) or will my third stick be useless?

peter p said:
I don't care for the dual channel because my ram is not paired.
What do you mean? They don't have to be a matched DC-set - any DDR-memory can run DC. However if one stick is much slower, they shouldn't be coupled. And I don't know whether the sticks must be of equal size, but I guess they have to be for DC to work.

peter p said:
What I'm asking is if I use 3 sticks will all my ram be working (single channel) or will my third stick be useless?
They will work (all modules would be addressed, ie. you'd benefit from the full amount). The only drawback is in terms of performance, as you'd force the system to run in single channel if using three sticks. On Springdale/Canterwood either two or four slots must be populated for DC.

Back