• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you run memory FASTER than your CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

So say I had PC4500 or something :drool: . Could I run my CPU at 220x11 but my memory at CPU/9 or something to get a RAM speed faster than my CPU? I dont really care about the effectiveness of it, I just want to know if it would be possible.

LoneWolf121188 said:
So say I had PC4500 or something :drool: . Could I run my CPU at 220x11 but my memory at CPU/9 or something to get a RAM speed faster than my CPU? I dont really care about the effectiveness of it, I just want to know if it would be possible.

Some motherboards allow it. Most do not.

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
yes, it's possible, but it will be virtually the same as running at a 220

how would running it faster then 220 be virtually the same as running at 220? correct me if im wrong, but that's why we try and push our memory further. for more speed. :eh?:

For an A64, in theory it wouldn't be. But I'm not aware of any motherboards that allow that. The memory doesn't use the HTT in any way, so if its running faster, it doesn't get bogged down either.

well for one, i dont think you can do it on a64 systems, and for two, someone on a P4 system ran his ram faster than the fsb and saw no increase over running it straight 1:1

that's right. you can run the RAM faster than the fsb, but it'll all be wasted clocks.

just as long as it can keep sync then you're set. setting the clock higher will just make more heat, possibly risk stability, and also restrict the timings a bit. once you have it in sync with your fsb, just worry about tightening the timings and don't bother making the memory go any faster.

LoneWolf121188 said:

It can be done, but your CPU cannot run at 220x11. you would need 275x8 to get your ram speed at 275, then CPU would be at 2200.

The problem is your CPU's default multiplier sets ram dividers. You cannot choose which one you want. what you can do is choose starting ram points. which are there to alow for slower rams. In this case you want to work backwards, which means you simply drop CPU multi below 10X and keep ram at fastest default speeed (200MHZ) then as you ramp up the HTT the ram will run faster than the CPU.

The viability of these options, are to be seen. Because not too many benchies have been done like this. Also the particular bench would nees to take advantage os the extra memory bandwith, which is already a stong point of A64. Best to do is try for your self

sevendevilhell said:
that's right. you can run the RAM faster than the fsb, but it'll all be wasted clocks.

just as long as it can keep sync then you're set. setting the clock higher will just make more heat, possibly risk stability, and also restrict the timings a bit. once you have it in sync with your fsb, just worry about tightening the timings and don't bother making the memory go any faster.

This is true, but it's a different situation with the new LGA 775 boards. You can now upclock the memory wit the 3:4 divider and run some sweet DDR800 speeds. The performance increas isn't huge, but it shows

Back