• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Require Help on Build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sharik

Finally the day has come and I've decided to get a new computer. So here I am, after restless months of scavenging for various parts, I'm ready to put them all together. My dilemma is that the parts cost me a pretty large amount and this is only my second build (first one was under $500 :D ) So I am in desperate need of your advice, comments, and warnings on how to avoid a potential disaster.

Currently the parts in my possesion:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester Socket 939 CPU (retail box)
Gigabyte K8 Triton GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard
Corsair 1GB PC 3200 XMS dual channel RAM
Enermax 460w EG465P-VE FM 24-Pin Dual Fan PSU
Seagate 200GB SATA HD
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case
and last but not least a retail ATI RADEON X800 XL :)

there's also the monitor, floppy, cd drives, but i dont think they should be my main priority just yet.

Thank you for your assistance, hope to get alot of replies :D

What are you planning to use the computer for? Primarily? Are you planning to overclock?

If this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-449&depa=0

or this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-500&depa=0

is the memory you have in mind I'd look elsewhere. For the same or perhaps a few dollars more you can get some TCCD memory like this that should perform significantly better.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...0&CMP=OTC-Froogle&description=N82E16820220033

If you want to lower costs then get some value ram and use a divider. A twinmos TMII 1GB kit for $140 would fill the bill.

Enermax makes some decent power supplies but IMO this one is better and slightly cheaper to boot.

http://www.electroseller.com/Mercha...oduct_Code=PS_FSPAX500-A/R&Category_Code=_fsp

I hadn't read much about that mobo. It's interesting to see such a low cost nF4 option. I like Giga boards, but keep in mind they're not geared toward hard core overclockers/enthusiasts and tend to have relatively spartan overclocking features. For $30ish more you could get the DFI nF4 ultra-D which is an overclockers dream and seems to be rock solid despite being a newborn and suffering from a bit of teething. :p See my ongoing Ultra-D build here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=365248

Last edited:
those are some nice looking parts! Be sure to ground yourself by touching the case a lot. And work in an area with lots of light. And if you get hung up somewhere and stall out just stop. Watch tv, or even better wake up the next day and do it. Good luck and welcome to ocforums!

I would say, read all the directions that come with things, then carefully put them together.

Make sure to:
ground yourself properly (to avoid damage from esd)
install the heatsink properly, with the right amount of thermal paste
watch out for grounding things you're not supposed to
Plug everything in to the correct slot in the correct orientation (most things are keyed, so they only go in one way, but people have done things like force DIMMs into their sockets backwards, causing bad things to happen when the computer was turned on)
Don't turn in on without a HSF on the CPU

I think I hit the most common beginner problems, but you sound like most of these you probably already knew. Good luck with your build, and if you have a question as your going through the build, stop and ask.

WOW, that sure was fast guys! Thank you all so much for the tips. I'm going to print them out and hang them on the wall for reference :burn:

just another tip: try to wire it pretty, because otherwise you have to take everything out and make it nice which is a total pain in the ***
oh and with the sata hd, dont forget the drivers
Good Luck!

The first thing you should do. Is make sure you own a grounding wrist strap. This is worst time of year to build a PC with the humidity so low. The chances of sending 50,000 volts of ESD (Electo Static Dischage) are very high.

The posts above cover most of the biggies I just want to add one more. When you go to mount your MB in your case. Be sure you have a standoff for every hole. Then double check and I mean count them if you have to. You do not have any extras in there. If you miss one and then power up your system. This little oversight can ruin your whole day. Your MB won't like it much either

what if I get some copper wire, tie one end around my ankle and the other around a metal gas pipe or something. Should I then be constanly grounded and 100% de-electro-staticfie to work on the hardware? :-/

A few hundred volts is enough to cause damage, and that's low enough that you might not even feel it. In addition, damage can be small, and not apparent right away. You don't just need to worry about your HDD, though, be careful with all your components.

Watch your footwear too. :p

I know it sounds silly but I have these slippers that are like static generators. Everytime I wear them and touch metal there's a visible arc of electricity and an audible pop. I make sure I'm not wearing them before playing with sensitive toys.

Back