• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Restarts :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

I've been getting all kinds of random reboots lately. Now normally, I only get them occasionally at the Windows password screen. But I've installed a new printer, I have the Omega drivers for my card, and I also installed Sygate once or twice (uninstalled later). The symptoms i currently have are random reboots during: password screen, inital desktop startup, connecting to a server in Enemy Territory, and soemtimes just doing random things. I've noticed an increase in random restarts after installing Sygate Firewall (to replace ZA...later went back to ZA) after installing Sygate, ZA would still run and I would get a reboot almost everytime at the desktop screen. And after installing my printer, iv also noticed more restarts too. Occasionally, Windows will boot up and tell me my system has recovered from a severe problem/error. So windows reports the problem and it comes back saying its a device driver messing it up, but won't tell me much more. Does anyone know what the problem might be? this is really getting on my nerves...thanks.

well first thing to do is set all hardware to stock and see if the problem continues...if it does it's most likely you need to do an OS scrub

Do you suspect a bad power supply? Adding a USB device draws a little more power and depending on other stuff you might have like lights or number of fans, etc, 350 watts might be on the low side.
Also, check your memory with memtest86 to see if there are errors at the stock timings.

I just had a similar problem on a laptop I was working on. Look in your Event Viewer system log to see if it gives you any clues. The system I was working on would randomly crash/reboot.. turns out that the Hard Drive had a bad block in it...

To get to the event viewer in XP;

right click MY COMPUTER -> MANAGE -> expand SYSTEM TOOLS -> select SYSTEM.

By right clicking an entery and select PROPERTIES, you can get more info on that entry.

By Clicking the blue link in the properties box, it will launch you into the help and support center and give you additional information.

Good luck

Lee

alright thanks guys...ill check those things out...and if i get super desperate...ill clear the partition and install XP again...man thad suck. Yeah and i knoiw 350 watts is low...fortunately I only have 2 USB devices...2 fans...and no lights (exept case LEDs for HD and crap)...im planning on a new PSU soon....again...thanks all ill check it out

wow thansk palee! this Computer Management thing is amazing for troubleshooting!

Not a problem.. I'm really suprised I don't see more references to it in here. It is a great tool to use that most seem to overlook. It would have saved me time in my last diagnostic had I remembered to check it first... lol

Lee

Back