• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disk Defrag prob really got me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sturm

Never had anythung like this before and I am bamboozled.
I formatted my hard drive 2 weeks ago and did fresh install of xp pro sp2 fat32 partition. defrag will not do its job it leaves 1.50GB fragmented this shows in the report as \PAGEFILE.SYS Can't understand it as I moved my pageing file to a different drive.

Any help, suggestions or advice appreciated :)

Attachments

• defrag.JPG
    defrag.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 128
My guess is this: when you moved your paging file, you ended up just creating a second one on your other drive. Thus, you see the (large) unmovable red file on the defragmenter screen.

When you go into the page file management screen, select a different drive, and set a page file there, it doesn't 'move' the old one, it creates a new one and uses both. In order to disable the original one, you have to go back and click on C: and set the radio button to 'No paging file'.

That's my guess anyway, I could be completely wrong.

I had the same thing going on when I was using hibernate. turn it off and see if that file goes away.

totally agree with SSS. started using this yesterday. After only 3 runs i am down to 1.0 fragged files

Having a page file on a secondary drive is a good idea,however you cannot disable the page file on C: alltogether.The page file works differently on XP then it did on 2000.I would set a static page file on both drives and reboot,then tick the System Managed button on the C: drive.If the page file size suites XP it will not expand or even use it but it still wants it there.BY clicking the system managed button,XP will allow both page files and acess the one that has the fastest access and will do it without errors.Also,if it likes the static size it will move it next to the written data or even within the data making access faster.Generaly it keeps it far away from the OS so it can expand and contract as you see in the defragmen window.

Back