• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are my chances for 4x512mb DC on A64 3500+ ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSFP

Ok, I want to use 2gb of RAM, and I am somewhat in a problem.
I am going to buy DFI NF4 SLI-D. The selection of 1gb sticks is very small, and they cost like hell...

And initially 2gb will be enough for me, but I cant sell my RAM later....
So I can either go for 2x512 now and add another 2x512 later, or go straight to 2x1Gb now....

Because the 2x1gb choices cost too much and are limited right now...I would much prefer to go with 2x512 now and add another 2x512 later...
Plus, this way I can get some 512 sticks to have fun with (with the 4vdimm the DFI has).

But I have heard the memory controller on A64 doesnt officially support 4 sticks of PC3200 ram....only PC2700....and you take your chances doing it at PC3200...

I was wondering, based on your real life experiences, how much chance does this have to work, and would I be able to OC to DDR500 lets say?

Your in luck, anandtech has a review on the mobo you want and they did exactly what you want to do, (review here) they were able to 4 mem sticks but had to switch from 1T to 2T and it worked .

I thought the CPU was the limitation though....not the mobo.... (as in the memory controller is in the CPU in A64)

Yep that's what they though aswell, and it is still true that the limitation is in the ondie mem controller, but it's like officially amd doesn't ahve a cpu that will do 2.8ghz but some of us are able to oc to those speeds.

That's why basicaly I ask for user experiences.... I know they officially require 333Mhz for 4 dimms DC....but I want to know from people who have tried, how much luck they had....

Tests with all four DIMM slots populated on the DFI nForce4 boards required a 2T Command Rate with 4 DS DIMMs in two dual channels. This is the pattern seen on other top-performing Socket 939 boards, but we hoped that higher voltage might allow us to eek out 4 DS DIMM 1T performance. However, additional voltage did not help and DDR400 with 4DS DIMMs still required a 2T Command Rate on the DFI nForce4 boards.

This is from the link I posted above, anandtech was able to run 4 dual sided mem modules in dc, so are your waiting for more people to post about there experiences.

Back