• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Xeon's for Gaming...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatguy

Hello,

I currently have a P4 3.0E running at 3.45Ghz (230 FSB) on an IC7-G board with 1GB BH-5 running at 2-3-3-6. I've been reading a bit about dual xeon setups and have a few questions. I have a couple "leftover" servers sitting in my apartment, both have 2x 2.4Ghz XEON SL73L 533FSB procs.

Also, I am in the process of building a massive storage array (4x300GB in RAID5). In order to do this, I'm going to have to build a new machine. Now, to my question:

Does it make sense for me to pickup a NCCH-DL and some new TCCD and run my primary (ie gameing and programming workstation) on the Dual system? What type of performace difference will I experience while playing games like CSS? My LCD requires me to run games at 1920x1200, so losing a noticable amount of performace in gaming is unacceptable to me, as I'm right at 60fps now (vsync'd). I would love to OC these procs I have laying around, but I wouldn't be that upset if I just put them in another system which ran my NFS.

TIA.

Ok, but would the processing speeds be equivilant for gaming? Say a XEON running at 16x220 (3.5GHz) compared to a P4 running at 15x230 (3.45GHz).

Basically I'm asking if XEONS = P4s speed for speed in games?

yes the speed is the same, except you can game and encode a video at the same time with no slowdown in your game.

Just think as the Xeon in terms of a single CPU for gaming. It can only be equal or slower than a system with similar CPU speed and FSB.

At least this is the impression I got when I played on a Xeon. An overclocked 1.6 Xeon overclocked to 2.4 was equal to about a 2.4C. Same style of RAM PC3200 (2.5,3,3,7) and 9800Pros. The dual was just able to do other things while I gamed tho, such as run BT, encode a movie and burn a DVD without a bit of lag.

Back