• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N-SLI Deluxe & Raptor 74 - Failed XP Pro Install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

///M3

Registered
I can't get XP Pro w/imbedded SP2 to install on my new system. Everthing is great until it reboots then if fails before even getting to the GUI desktop with "Error loading operating system". I've tried other drives also, a IDE ATA133, and a SCSI setup. None have gotten past the reboot. I WAS able to install Win 2000 Advanced Server on an IDE drive the first try. Is this a mobo or Raptor 74 drive problem? I've done several Recovery Console repair attempts (boot.ini, bootcfg, fixboot) to no avail. Any ideas?

Sounds like you have the setting in your BIOS wrong. You need to insure the Raptor is the 'First Boot Device'. If this is not set properly when you install XP the OS will not be seen and you will get an error loading OS etc...Also have the floppy with the SATA/RAID drivers handy during install. Again if these drivers are not installed with XP you will not be able to boot from your SATA/RAID.

Z

Single Install:
Make sure your drive is detected by your SATA controller.
Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart the system.
Note: You may need to press the F6 key to load the driver for the SATA controller before XP can find a drive to install to.

Partitioning/Formatting:
Click on Create Partition from the menu.
A new wizard will appear: Create Partition Wizard. Click Next to continue.
On the next screen select either Primary or Extended Partition and click Next to continue.
You may assign a drive letter that is not in use by other devices if you wish, then click Next to continue.
Select the type of format (NTFS or FAT32). Leave the allocation unit size at default and label the drive as desired.
Enter the desired partition size. If using FAT32, your partition cannot be larger than 32GB.
Click Finish when done.

Last edited:
The Raptor is seen by the BIOS and on the startup screen. The hard drive IS set to 1st Boot Device and the Raptor is the only HD in the system. I F6 and install both the nVIDIA drivers (2) and the Sil 3114 driver (SATA). I do a full NTFS format of the 5GB system partition on the Raptor and XP proceeds to copy all setup files sucessfully. It fails on the reboot every time with "Error loading operating system". WTF?

You gain nothing performance wise by putting windows on it's own partition on a raptor. (Especially a partition that small, 5GB is not ideal.)

Most people use the entire raptor for windows/programs/games because 74GB even isn't that much now and days and use another drive for storage.

Try using the entire drive and putting windows there and if problems still occurs then your drive might be messed up.

You can download WD diagnotic tools from WD's website that boot from floppy. You might want to try that.

I don't agree with you regarding the 5GB partition for XP SP2, but why is not pertinent here. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I reformated the Raptor as one partition, leaving 11MB unpartitioned. Performed the complete XP SP2 install with F6, for the umpteenth iteration. It still fails on the reboot. I then downloaded the WDC diag disk and ran that--the Raptor passes all tests. Now what?

this might be a stupid question. .. .is the partition active?

I know most of the time this is not a problem. .. .but when HDDs are swapped, then swapped, and then swapped again. .. .it makes me go old school.

M

I'm not sure I understand "active"--The BIOS and boot menu both see the Raptor. I cleared the parameter RAM before installing the Raptor. I flashed to the latest ASUS BIOS, 1003, before doing anything. Maybe I should try going back to the earlier version BIOS, but that doesn't make any sense either?

i would say to find another computer with SATA to install on, or borrow/buy a SATA card, something bulletproof

perhaps one that is in the list of drivers already on the XP disc, you know the ones that load at the beginning and you dont need any of them

SATA to IDE adapter, just for the install

i would beleive an install to an IDE, then a ghost to the SATA would work for sure

Not sure of your bios settings but mine must have both options in advanced chipset to boot the sata.If you use the 3114;I had to enter sata bios and erase the drive reboot and then set parameters before it would allow me to use it.I have the 3112 but I assume the sata bios is the same or similar.

I worked with Microsoft Research Support for a week on an off trying to get an XP Pro install. It just would not work even on an IDE drive. I RMA'd the mobo yesterday as the nVIDIA chipset (I guess it's just one chip, the CK804) appears to be the problem.

Well, maybe not. I got a successful install on my old Maxtor IDE drive, but still no joy with the SATA Raptor 74. The Raptor passes all the WDC diagnostics with flying colors but the XP install fails on the setup reboot into GUI with "file missing or corrupt: hal.dll".

I'm totally stumped! I'm calling WDC tech support Monday to see if they can shed any light on this mystery.

Back