• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody had experience with OCZ 3200EL Platinum Rev1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChesterMcCheese

I heard that the Rev2's are pretty bad. They use Samsung TCCD - isnt that good?

But anyway I have the chance to purchase some Rev 1. The seller says it has "awesome overclocking reputation unlike Rev2", but I decided to look up what chips it uses, and its any one of 4 chips, 3 of which I have never heard of and the other one is CH-5.

The seller claims it does does 220 2-3-2-5 @ 2.7v and 240 2.5-3-3-6 @ 2.7v, and he hasn't cranked voltage up any higher cuz his mobo dun like it (but the ram itself can do 2.8V while still retaining warranty right)? What do you think of this claim?

Any other experiences anyones ever had with the RAM?

that looks like ch5 to me. those no name chips you mentioned dont like to oc at all pretty much. i had a pair of the old stock of this stuff that woudnt even run 205 mhz 2-3-2. 2-3-3 didnt do a lot better.
I dont know who is saying the rev2 is a bad performener. everyone i have seen talk about them has only good things to say =\

Actually from memory it was YOU who told me that Rev2 is not worth it in my other topic wasn't it?

I have some. It runs stock fine, and is shiny (which is very important to me).

I would like to know what chips it uses (2x256).

Woa, i did not say that the rev 2 was a bad idea ever. i even said that if you had the money and it was available, then you should get it.

Valk said:
I had that dual channel platinum kit and i can assure that is NOT somthing you want to get. the earlier ones had bh5 but later ones had some crappy no name chip on them that ran ok at 200 mhz, but woulndt budge higher. you might get lucky with them, and if they are cheap, by all means but....

Woah I think I misunderstood you. Were you saying the Rev1's are bad and the Rev2's were good? I think you defined "earlier ones" by the limited edition ones, which I think came after Rev1 of the OCZ plat.

It is true that the Rev1's consists of mostly no name chips, but I think I got lucky in that the one I'm considering is probably CH-5.

I'd pick up Rev 2 if you can get it. TCCD is going to be more versatile that CH5. Or if you are going to use extreme vdimm pick up the VX Gold that OCZ makes. That ram is incredible. But you need 3.5V vdimm or higher to make go zoom :D

I'm not sure what the person is saying when he says Awesome potential compared to rev.2..............that doesn't make any sense because the Rev 2 with the newer TCCD is reaching amazing speeds............... rev.1 is well known for it.

I like Steve's avatar. :D Three cheers for hot blondes with cute winks.

Now that I'm done fantasizing about that little chickie, let me put in my $0.02 and say don't bother with the CH5 if you can find TCCD for anywhere close to the same price. I have a stick of CH5, and it does 2-2-2 timings at PC3200, 2-3-3 timings at PC3500 speeds (which are both stock), and 2-2-2 timings at 220Mhz with 3.3volts. It's the ugly stepsister to the BH5/6 we know and love.

Don't get my wrong, CH5 ram is still really nice and can hold good timings, but it doesn't have much OC potential compared to the other stuff available out there right now. Plus unless you crank up the voltage over 3.1v or so, it's not going to respond to any increases really thanks to a voltage regulator in it. In fact, I found that putting my CH5 at 2.9v made it much more unstable than at 2.7v (and my mobo tends to overcolt a tad, so more like 3.0v versus 2.8v)

/goes back to happily looking at Steve's avatar

im using some of this ram right now. my speeds are in my sig with 2.8v. not bad ram, but not great either.

Back