• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

loading problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theoilman

hi, i recently got a compaq presario with windows 98, it starts up fine but when i double click on a program nothing happens, the person who had it before me also said they put more RAM into it and it worked fine until a few months ago when nothing would load, can anybody help me with this?

If it were me? I'd do a dirty install of win98 and see if that fixes it.

sorry for the noob question but what is a dirty install and how does it differ from a quick restore? (which i have already tried with no luck)

sorry. "dirty install" of windows 98 is reinstalling win98 directly over the installation that is already on the hard drive. When you run the install it tries to install to another directory.....you'll have to force it to install to C:\Windows. Normally that repairs problems, without losing information or any installed programs

is there anyway to do this without the windows 98 cd? I was told it was already installed on the comp wen it was bought new

Back