• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most Important Files?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

I'm creating a DVDRW of the most important files you can have. That way, if I need to do a format, I can quickly reintstall a bunch of drivers and software. Please give me any and all suggestions you have for this. I have 4.7GB to use, so pull out all the stops! Heres what I have so far (in no particular order):

nVidia drivers (nForce 4 and Geforce)
Service Pack 2
Creative Audigy drivers
memtest
Partition Magic 8.0
3DMark05 with v120 update
CPUZ v127 (get this if you dont have it, its brand new!!!)
Nero
Prime 95
Shareaza
S&M (Get this too, it increased my load temps vs Prime95 by 8-10C!)
SuperPi
WinRAR

Thats 948MB. What else? Im thinking some bootable thing, like knoppix or something, so I can run this stuff in a pre-windows enviroment if needed.

wait, idea: DirectX 9.0c. I'll dl that now.

I'd add a copy of your bookmarks, FAH or seti, if you into that, Aquamark because I see you have that in your sig, mbm5 or other temp program, 3rd party browser like mozilla if you use that, aim or another IM client

and 9c comes with sp2 so no need to download.

Hmm this is a good idea, i think i might have to do this too.

Do you just grab whats in your programs files and put that on the disk or what?

All your benchmarks. But for your sake Ill go ahead and list what I have on my backup drive:

All my MP3s
All chipset / VGA drivers
Coolbits / nVtweek
3dmark01SE (since it wont install with DX9 in place)
Schoolwork
Screensavers / Desktop images
BIOS
Various Game / App patches
F@H
Saved Games
Prime95
Memtest86
CPU-Burn
MBM5 <deleted>
Trillian 3.0
AVG Antivirus
M$ Anti-Spyware

_______

< overall I have 12GB of "critical data files" >

i bought a book by maximum pc where it shows you how to make your own custom recovery discs. is that what you're doing?

i would just put all of your important programs that you use on a daily basis and any important files you need.

I normally do this:

Program settings
  • Entire Firefox folder or just searchplugins or settings
  • The .* folders in your /home directory
  • etc.

Swaret
Wallpaper
Anything that you can't apt-get, swaret or emerge easily

But there's more to do if you're using Windoze than if you're using Linux:

Firefox
jEdit
The GIMP
Gaim
Any other programs you use

You should also realize that all of this stuff will be out of date by the time you use this disk, so it'd also be a good idea to have a list of links in HTML so you can easily download all of the newest versions.

seeing how personally, i have DSL, i can just download programs i need.

for me, if i did this, i'd save my Favorites, My plugins for FireFox, A few installers that are harder to find ( for older programs and stuff )

And my MP3's....but luckely those are on a seperate drive....and i'd need a couple DVD's to save all of those, along with my music videos. heh.

but most important, BOOKMARKS. it really makes you mad, when you copy every single file you want, but you forget to save the bookmarks :bang head

Stupid Boy said:
You should also realize that all of this stuff will be out of date by the time you use this disk, so it'd also be a good idea to have a list of links in HTML so you can easily download all of the newest versions.

ooo, good idea. Didn't think of that.

zexmarquies01 said:
seeing how personally, i have DSL, i can just download programs i need.

I think most of the rest of us do too (I do anyway), but its easier to run everything off a CD than dl it all again. Think about it: 3DM05: 260+MB. SP2: 250+MB (just a guess)? Adobe: 30+MB. Drivers: 32MB. etc, etc. It adds up pretty quick.

Why dont you make it also a boot CD with the OS on it????
You got the room. Why use 2 disks when one will do

Back