• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I get nice looking flat IDE cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cetoole

I have discovered the benefits of using flat ide cables instead of the round ones that are so popular, but I don't like the way the gray cables I have look. I have seen a couple cases that have dark blue IDE cables, but can't find any place that sells them.

paint.

I don't know either... Asus bundles nice black ones. I haven't been able to find anything other than rounded that are coloured.

Know Nuttin said:
paint.

I don't know either... Asus bundles nice black ones. I haven't been able to find anything other than rounded that are coloured.
I have thought about vinyl dye, but I am not sure what that would do to the dielectric properties of the insulation, or if that matters here. I know people in the audiophile community that would hold that they can hear a difference between the two, but I am not sure if that is real or a psychoachoustic effect.

Bump...
Found this post doing a search, I would also like to find some nice flat colored IDE cables if they are available somewhere, I have searched, but no luck.

I don't see how coloring/dyeing the cables would hurt.. worst case.. buy or try it on a cheap flat cable and see if you notice any marked difference. It isn't going to hurt your system any.

You can find vinyl dye at most any car mart (autozone, advanced..)

Lee

Last edited:
yeah i agree. vinyl dye should not have a negative effect on the insulation.

when you refered to audiophiles, are you saying they can tell the difference between a wire insulated with one thing and then a wire insulated by another thing?

As far as I know, insulation just insultes. You wouldn't want something that had very strong dielectric properties, because you'd get increased capacitance which would screw with the signal. Paints should be fine as long as they don't ment off the insulation.

Back