• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dedicated HDD for Temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electric sheep

Dedicated HDD for Temp Files?

Supposedly moving the page file to a dedicated physical hard disk will increase overall speed since the I/O subsystem no longer has to contend for access to operating system files and the pagefile on the same disk.

Would moving the Windows temp files (not just the Internet Temp files, but the actual Windows Temp folder also) to a dedicated drive provide a similar performance gain?

Thinking about testing these theories since smaller storage HDD's are fairly inexpensive nowadays. Not yet sure what to compare to determine the results.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
It's true to some extent concerning the page file. It's just as effective to set the page file to a fixed size.
Another thing to do is to put all your saved files, documents, downloads (and whatever else you shuffle around or change alot) onto a seperate drive.

And Welcome to the Forums!

I have my page file on a separate physical drive than the OS, and it really didn't do jack for me.

If you have enough RAM that you don't use your page file, it won't matter where you put it.

Captain Slug said:
It's true to some extent concerning the page file. It's just as effective to set the page file to a fixed size.
Another thing to do is to put all your saved files, documents, downloads (and whatever else you shuffle around or change alot) onto a seperate drive.
Aye, I'll have a partition set up for that stuff, which will eventually get moved to a file server.

Captain Slug said:
And Welcome to the Forums!
Thank you. :)

Slackfumasta said:
I have my page file on a separate physical drive than the OS, and it really didn't do jack for me.

If you have enough RAM that you don't use your page file, it won't matter where you put it.
I have 1GB DDR400 RAM. My system seems to use 244 MB of the Page File consistently (when not running any apps).

What are your thoughts on having a dedicated drive for the Temp files? Should it also help I/O seek times?

Back