• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planned computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matarael

I don't really Intend on getting this for a while (Until around June to be honest), but I want 1st impressions as far as the plan goes with some of my current Comp:

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Skt. 939 (Winchester)
Motherboard - Abit Socket 939 K8T800Pro AV8-3rd Eye
Heatsinkfan - Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 CPU Cooler (FG-000-AR)
Graphics - XFX Geforce 6600GT AGP (Current)
RAM - 512mb PC2100 DDR SDRAM (Current) + 1gb PC3200 DDR RAM suggestion?
Hard Drive - Samsung SV1204H (U-ATA/100) & Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80gb NCQ (Both in current PC)
PSU - Hiper 480w R-Type
CD Drives - LiteON DVD-RW (Current) & LiteON CD-RW/DVD Combo

or

Processor - Pentium 4 2.8ghz w/HT LGA775
Motherboard - VIA PT880 Pro (Providing that it's been released by this time)
Heatsinkfan - No idea once again
Graphics - XFX Geforce 6600GT AGP (Current)
RAM - 512mb PC2100 DDR SDRAM (Current) + 1gb PC3200 DDR RAM suggestion?
Hard Drive - Samsung SV1204H (U-ATA/100) & Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80gb NCQ (Both in current PC)
PSU - Hiper 480w R-Type
CD Drives - LiteON DVD-RW (Current) & LiteON CD-RW/DVD Combo

Both in a TT Tsunami Case which I currently own (Waits for the boos and hisses)

Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies.

Well there's no point in specing this out so far in advance, too many things will change in 4 months...Also what will the machine will be used for will matter....i.e. video gaming, photo/video editing etc

^agree.
-Though I would recommend getting an antec or fortron PSU for costVperformance reasons.
-If you're going to do this all up, go with PCI-E and don't hold yourself back for future upgrades with the AGP.
-Ditch that pc2100 and devote the money to some high quality pc3200 or faster, corsair, mushkin, kingston. You're going to be able to bump up the FSB on this thing so don't let that limit you because upgrading again will be costly.
-Unless you really use that much space, why not a big raptor. Or perhaps 1 little but fast raptor and then 1 huge HD for all your storage. This will help your overall performance quite a bit and those drives are a bit on the old side anyways.

I know that things will change over the next few months and that is why I am hoping these things will be getting quite a bit cheaper then they are at the moment, thats part of the plan anyway.

I don't think I can really afford to go PCI-E as I recently bought what is in my sig (though the IS7 isn't working) so it'd be a waste to leave my current AGP 6600gt to gather dust (Thats why I was thinking about the VIA mobo since it allows for PCI-E and AGP when it is released) and it's also an option I can't afford being a 16 year old (17 when I intend on making said computer).

But the main purpouse of the computer will be to watch DVD's, homework and a bit of gaming. Gaming being the the original purpouse, but I really need to put more effort into studies and the 6600gt should keep me good for a couple of years since my GF4 MX440 lasted me long enough.

ajrettke said:
Well there's no point in specing this out so far in advance, too many things will change in 4 months...Also what will the machine will be used for will matter....i.e. video gaming, photo/video editing etc
Agreed. Things change so much in that time frame that I couldnt even think about planning what I want 4 months from now. I would wait to see what the pricing on everything is when you buy and not specualte.

Okay. Anyway, what do you think of the PC if I were to buy it now. Bearing in mind that PCI-E is out of the question. Or which one would be the better out of the two.

:)

gonna say the A64 system and u can always sell the 6600gt, ebay my friend, ebay.

Yeah, thats a good idea.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your opinions. I'll update ya'll in June/July if you remember this thread lol

I just hope to god that DFi will bring out a reasonable cheap NF3 Socket 939 Lanparty board some time in the near future, I like the sound and look of then Lanparty series.

Back