• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking Dual Xeon 3.06Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RADCOM

Registered
I have dual xeon 3.06Ghz 533MHz and Asus NCCH-DL motherboard. I'm new to overclocking and I've read some of the tuts here but I'm still a little hesitant. I am also considering water coooling as I had an Innovatek w/c system before but water blocks for Xeons seem to be thin on the ground. I have 2 x 512MB of ballistix Pc3200 or 4 x256MB RAM BO Pc3200Bh-5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

well for the RAM try everything....the xeons should be downward multiplier unlocked so you'd probably want to drop to the lowest multiplier setting and go for 200 FSB....then start messing around with higher freq's and multipliers.
Watercooling is definetly good, and you also might want to do U wire mods to up the voltage as well (search online for U wire mod and xeon and you'll find what I'm talking about)

Welcome to the forums

ajrettke said:
well for the RAM try everything....the xeons should be downward multiplier unlocked so you'd probably want to drop to the lowest multiplier setting and go for 200 FSB....then start messing around with higher freq's and multipliers.
Watercooling is definetly good, and you also might want to do U wire mods to up the voltage as well (search online for U wire mod and xeon and you'll find what I'm talking about)

Welcome to the forums
I tried setting the motherboard jumpers to 200fsb and low multiplier but hte PC wouldn't boot :(
I'll try the u wire mod when I change the heatsinks there's not much room for watercooling so I may try the coolermaster heatpipe heatsinks.
Any other assistance gratefully accepted.

RADCOM said:
I tried setting the motherboard jumpers to 200fsb and low multiplier but hte PC wouldn't boot :(
I'll try the u wire mod when I change the heatsinks there's not much room for watercooling so I may try the coolermaster heatpipe heatsinks.
Any other assistance gratefully accepted.

you're not going to be able to boot with the mobo jumpers at 200fsb...even when you have already lowered the multiplier in the bios...this is because the bootstrap multiplier for the 3.06's is 23 and 23x200 ain't happenin', even for a second...

but, you can probably set the multiplier to 18x or so, then keep the fsb jumper at 133, but raise the fsb to 165 in the bios...then use clockgen (see sticky at top of this forum section) to raise the fsb to 200 or more...

with 3.06's, they should get at least 3.4ghz and probably 3.6ghz o/c

dustybyrd said:
you're not going to be able to boot with the mobo jumpers at 200fsb...even when you have already lowered the multiplier in the bios...this is because the bootstrap multiplier for the 3.06's is 23 and 23x200 ain't happenin', even for a second...

but, you can probably set the multiplier to 18x or so, then keep the fsb jumper at 133, but raise the fsb to 165 in the bios...then use clockgen (see sticky at top of this forum section) to raise the fsb to 200 or more...

with 3.06's, they should get at least 3.4ghz and probably 3.6ghz o/c

Cheers. I've found a lot of people have little bits of the jigsaw and I am slowly clawing my way to " understanding"

Back