• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows boot times greatly increased after a week of idle time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

So saturday evening i got back from holiday (i looove snowboarding :p) and when sunday morning i powered up my pcs again (game rig and lappy in sig) it took nearly 3 minutes to load windows :eek:

Bios etc. is normal, windows screen, too, but when i get to the desktop it takes like another two minutes to load the desktop icons and the programs running in the background (steam, netlimiter, VNC server etc).

I dont get it...i just turned my pc off for a week and suddenly it takes an age to boot? wtf?

I checked msconfig but there are no new services or anything, its exactly the same as i left it...tried rebooting a few times but its that slow everytime.

Anyone knows how i can get rid of it? its really annoying.

Seems a bit odd - tried a defrag and cleared out temp files?

Im running a defrag right now...still it seems weird to me. I mean, it was like a regular reboot, just this time with a week in between...

Do you have auto-updates on? A bunch of updates came threw last week. It always seems to take a bit longer to boot after their installed. Just an idea if clearing the prefetch doesn't work.

RideGuy

I dont know if its from defrag or what but whenever I leave my comp idle for a few days and then try to use/reboot it, it takes a lot longer. It usually fixes itself after I clear the files and defrag.

Back