• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64 bit question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Contra

hey guy i have a dumb question

if i get my AMD 64
anfd install the beta of 64 bit windows on it will i then upgrade to the new 64 bit when it comes out or will i have to re install a full version

what i am looking at is not having to lose data
or should i just stick with XP home on the new 64 i am getting
then use the upgrade whan it comes out?

The beta 64-bit OS is just that...a working (well, mostly) prerelease, and should not be expected to perform as your main OS.
You will have to purchase (or otherwise acquire, ahem) the final release when it becomes available.

You should employ a comprehensive data backup strategy no matter what OS you run, it is foolish to trust a PC implicitly.
If you have properly secured your data (I Ghost and burn to DVD) then a system crash or hardware failure is an annoyance, not the end of the world.

I would estimate that over 90% of my customers have NEVER done any sort of data backup...which makes data recovery a pretty lucrative aspect of the shop's business.
Good for us, bad for them.

He has a good point i am running a raid 10 setup with beta windows 64 and i really dont want to have to reformat and start from scratch. Does anyone think there will be an upgrade path

Back