• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech MX500 vs. MX510

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CSeb911

Registered
Hey, I was thinking about getting a new mouse because I felt it would better fit my needs over the cheap Microsoft mouse I have now. I looked at the MX500 which is silver and dark blue (which I prefer) but it's only 4.7 megapixels a second...and 10G...when the MX510 (comes in blue and red, which im not crazy about) is 5.8 megapixels a second...15 G acceleration or sumthing...but the MX510 is about 10 dollars more...

What does the megapixels and dpi and acceleration really mean? Is it really worth to get the MX510 for ten dollars more?

What do you suggest?

The idea is that its a more precise mouse and is then able to track smaller movements and handle larger accelerations, ie jerking it around.

Megapixels - how many millions of little dots the mouse will be able to tell the different between.

DPI- dots per inch - same deal as above ^

Acceleration - how fast you can jerk the thing around before it wont be able to accurately tell youve done anything.

I have a MX500 and have no complaints, the people I know play with mx500's as well. If its worth the 10 bucks to you, go nuts. A mouse isnt really a gameplay restriction, you just have to be comfortable with the one you use.

I use a MX510, my MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 bit the dust and my friend uses either a MX500 or MX510 - not sure. I liked the feel of the mouse so I went and bought one. The MX510 was the first one I seen and picked it up. I can't complain at all. It's really smooth and precise, my accuracy has been higher ever since.

just be warned the drivers suck for the Logitech MX serries.
You will have a hard time getting all 8 buttons to work in your game and still be able to use it normally for websurfing.
Its a one or the other thing, unless you like loading profiles manually before switching between games and normal desktop use

510 user here

Back